Seagate's Barracuda XT 3TB Hard Drive Examined

Nemo

Who would have thought even five years ago you's be able to get 3TB of storage in a single drive for under $200? That's what you get with the highest capacity drive from Seagate, but how well does it perform? To find out, check out our review of the Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB - http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/seagate_barracuda_xt_3tb/

Wow, Seagate's still trying to sell these overpriced whales. I'd rather go for a Barracuda LP, WD Green, Samsung 5400rpm or Hitachi's drives. Drives of this size aren't justifiable at $230

Nobody should ever run their OS drive off of something this big, a nice 500gb for OS and a low power storage 3TB is a better setup and probably costs less than this drive alone.

Good review though, very thorough testing but it concluded as I imagined it would

Wow, Seagate's still trying to sell these overpriced whales. I'd rather go for a Barracuda LP, WD Green, Samsung 5400rpm or Hitachi's drives. Drives of this size aren't justifiable at $230

Nobody should ever run their OS drive off of something this big, a nice 500gb for OS and a low power storage 3TB is a better setup and probably costs less than this drive alone.

Good review though, very thorough testing but it concluded as I imagined it would

Although I don't think the price is right at this point in time, I for one only use 7200RPM drives or greater in my main PC. I don't want 5400RPM crap, nor one of those variable "green" ones, sorry.

Although I don't think the price is right at this point in time, I for one only use 7200RPM drives or greater in my main PC. I don't want 5400RPM crap, nor one of those variable "green" ones, sorry.

:withstupid: I feel the same way.

Thats way to expensive. I bought my 2TB drive for 65 bucks on newegg. I could get two 2TB drives for less then the price of one 3TB?!?!?!

Think again Seagate.

Dude you couldn't even tell the difference, I have a Barracuda LP 5900RPM and even admittedly used one for my friend's computer, as the primary drive. It was very fast and quiet, and CERTAINLY fast enough for a storage drive which will be sitting idle for 90% of the time.

:withstupid: I feel the same way.

You using your storage drives like servers too? :rolleyes:

Thats way to expensive. I bought my 2TB drive for 65 bucks on newegg. I could get two 2TB drives for less then the price of one 3TB?!?!?!

Think again Seagate.

precisely, though the highest capacity is always a little overpriced (same was true with 2TB when it came out vs two 1TBs) but this is way out of line with the Hitachi 3TB being available for $140.

Dude you couldn't even tell the difference, I have a Barracuda LP 5900RPM and even admittedly used one for my friend's computer, as the primary drive. It was very fast and quiet, and CERTAINLY fast enough for a storage drive which will be sitting idle for 90% of the time.

You using your storage drives like servers too? :rolleyes:

precisely, though the highest capacity is always a little overpriced (same was true with 2TB when it came out vs two 1TBs) but this is way out of line with the Hitachi 3TB being available for $140.

I will never touch a Hitachi drive ever again.

I will also not pay more than $70 for a hard drive. :happy:

The differences between a 5400/5900 RPM drive and a 7200 RPM drive in normal use are so small it's almost not worth mentioning. :P

That said, I do have a 7200 RPM 1.5 TB drive as the primary OS drive in my HTPC - not by choice, it's just what was on sale. :lol:

The differences between a 5400/5900 RPM drive and a 7200 RPM drive in normal use are so small it's almost not worth mentioning. :P

That said, I do have a 7200 RPM 1.5 TB drive as the primary OS drive in my HTPC - not by choice, it's just what was on sale. :lol:

Exactly, it's like comparing an Sata3 and an Sata2 SSD, sure there are differences in speed but I guarantee you don't see them. Storage drives don't need to be break neck, they'll sit idle most of the time

There is barely a difference if you are using the drives for basic use. But not everyone uses their computers for basic use. You guys don't know what people are using their drives for and making it sound like people are dumb for buying them makes you two look very uneducated.

Anyone who knows anything is green job drives are slower period. Trying to say they are not or that you will not notice a difference again makes you look uneducated.

Moving massives files on my own PC's the 5900RPM and 5400RPM drives bottleneck, hence why I moved back too the 7200RPM drives. The bigger the files too move the longer it takes. The average I see is about 3-4 mins slower sometimes a tad longer if its a really big file. Now of course that doesn't sound like a lot but if you moving stuff a lot, time adds up. Samething happens when I was doing video stuff sometimes the 5900RPM bottlenecks.

Sure if you do the basics, want it cheap, less warranty (Some are only 3 Years) and don't care to be fast the drive is for you. Both types of drives have perks, it will come down too the user needs on what drive type they should have.

I don't want 5400RPM crap, nor one of those variable "green" ones, sorry.
The transfer rate on my 2TB 'green' drive is abysmal, I really wish I had spent the extra money on one a bit better.