looking for Korean 30" IPS monitor & accurate color

monographix

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was looking for a high res/large monitor just like you until these came out.

http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-Digital-SE39UY04-39-Inch-Ultra/dp/B00DOPGO2G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378730545&sr=8-2&keywords=seiki

Seiki 39" 4K TV, I use one as a monitor and it's the best i've owned yet. I am very happy with it.

As for the Korean ones, there are a few members who have them here, they should be able to answers your questions further.

Edited by Black64

I was looking for a high res/large monitor just like you until these came out.

http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-Digital-SE39UY04-39-Inch-Ultra/dp/B00DOPGO2G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378730545&sr=8-2&keywords=seiki

Seiki 39" 4K TV, I use one as a monitor and it's the best i've owned yet. I am very happy with it.

JESUS, I NEED THAT! So inexpensive for resolution AND size. When I move out, I will totally get that as my all in one monitor/TV!

Maybe i should had said sRGB emulation mode, maybe is more accurate term. I am not sure its what you are talking about :)

I cant afford the brand IPS monitors from Dell & HP & Apple, LaCIE & Eizo and i understand that those Korean 30" monitors are IPS panels (LG from what i gather) and they are wide gamut. But my experience with wide gamut monitors that don't operate in an sRGB emulation mode is that they they are way oversaturated and vibrant beyond the average sRGB-like appearance of most devices let alone print processes. In my company i work on a 30" apple cinema, which doesn't have any setting apart from brightness but its factory calibrated in such a way that my print work is not far from the image on screen neither my web work from the average commercial screen. At home i currently have an HP ZR24W with which i am also satisfied for web and print design work and photography, just the cinema seems more accurate for print work and the HP seems more consumer oriented, emphasizing vibrancy - saturation and i also had to work a little with its OSD settings. 

If i am not wrong, what i understood is that both those IPS monitors are wide-gamut monitors but they operate in sRGB emulation mode. I once had a short experience with colormunki and trying to calibrate the monitors in office but the results were off from what i remember ... :(  

I am trying to find out before i order two of those korean IPS 30" monitors which ones and if , they have sRGB emulation mode, that i guess even if its off, might probably easier to bring close to normal / correct sRGB reproduction than just pure wide gamut which i think will never look like sRGB (or CMYK) no matter how well is calibrated (those vibrant eye-penetrating reds for example dont seem to ever desaturate in a pure wide gamut operation no matter the OSD or driver level color settings) 

Although their price is half or less of branded ones and especially since i am ordering two its a considerable cost and where i am ordering from is quite a hulk of a hussle to manage to return if any possible at all, in case that they suck and cant do the job i need them for ... 

So in case that none of them comes with sRGB emulation mode,  if i know that at least it is possible (or not) to calibrate them manually to represent with decent accuracy sRGB (and CMYK when the application (indesign, illustrator, photoshop) calls and proofs for it. Because from what i saw with a pure full wide gamut monitor on a consumer graphics card at least , it has been impossible for me to bring it to proof CMYK) that would be critical info to proceed with a purchase or not 

They seller selling the Blue Eye V2 quite cheap claims it can be used with "X-Rite i1 Display 2" software, but i havent been able to figure out yet if thats freely downloadable or has to be bought , and what's the price. 

If possible to avoid manual calibration, i would prefer that on any given day, and if i cant avoid it i'd prefer the most straight forward - idiot proof decently reliable solution 

Edited by monographix

opps I forgot consumer cards do not support wide-gamut ( hence why in using a Quadro ) . If your only gonna be working in sRGB on a wide-gamut monitor , I don't see a reason to even buy one . sRGB mode is for the lazy lol. generally thy are factory calibrated but using a color calibrator is a much cheaper solution .

The LaCie looks like a 1i x-rite so it probly uses the same software . they are locked not by cdkey in the software but internal key in the devices . So if the seller says it works , that's probly the software it was bundled with ( or LaCie branded version of it ).

edit : no matter what way you got for calibration there is no "idiot proof" option worth the time . 1i has a option for laptops and monitors without RGB options but its very mixed on results . usually it looks a bit worse than before.

i forgot about that too myself. Does that mean that the Cinema 30" i have at work connected to consumer nvidia and the HP ZR24W i have at home connected to a an HD 7870 are actually non wide gamut monitors? 

I didn't get what you mean about the locked Calibration device. You are saying that the lacie blue eye V2 will work indeed with that xrite software? (And if so, the question still is that software free to use?)

i might also have access to a "colormunki photo", either to borrow or buy. But i guess even manual calibration, on a wide gamut monitor that is connected to a consumer graphics card won't manage to make it look sRGB, and the colours will be oversaturated and over vibrant ? 

Edited by monographix

sRGB doesn't require wide-gamut support...or am I totally off base with that?

My X-Star 27" looks pretty good to my eyes but I haven't professionally calibrated it past tweaking my color profile in my drivers based on a couple calibration images. Mine is a Samsung PLS panel direct-connected with dual-link DVI.

It doesn't. It's the standard color gamut in use today, and certainly doesn't requite a wide-gamut monitor. Some wide-gamut monitors offer an sRGB emulation mode, but it may not be as good as just using an sRGB monitor. So if you'll be relying on sRGB emulation, just be sure it's as accurate as a native sRGB mode.

the thing is that most IPS monitors (i think) and especially all 30" monitors are wide gamut. I am not aware actually of IPS monitors that are not wide gamut and i am these days looking to confirm if it is like that or not. And the quality ones either operate by default in sRGB emulation or have the option to select sRGB emulation mode (or even other modes like adobe RGB) 

An sRGB monitor reproducing accurately AND fully the sRGB space is (by experience) enough -for me- for proofing either CMYK or sRGB design. But the monitors that can reproduce at a great percentage the sRGB space (and not at around 75% as mainstream consumer monitors and tvs do) and do so also correctly, are usually wide-gamut monitors (of either IPS or more rarely some TN panel technology) that operate in sRGB space (emulation). If i am not wrong standard gamut monitors cannot provide representation of 90%+ of the sRGB space nor have the tonal scaling qualities required for design work. 

Its a complicated matter for me and i am still learning , maybe some of my conclusions are wrong here.

It doesn't. It's the standard color gamut in use today, and certainly doesn't requite a wide-gamut monitor. Some wide-gamut monitors offer an sRGB emulation mode, but it may not be as good as just using an sRGB monitor. So if you'll be relying on sRGB emulation, just be sure it's as accurate as a native sRGB mode.

correct. When companies offer a sRGB mode, usually it's calibrated.  hence why I call it the lazy way. It's not always accurate but much better than factory defaults.

the thing is that most IPS monitors (i think) and especially all 30" monitors are wide gamut. I am not aware actually of IPS monitors that are not wide gamut and i am these days looking to confirm if it is like that or not. And the quality ones either operate by default in sRGB emulation or have the option to select sRGB emulation mode (or even other modes like adobe RGB) 

An sRGB monitor reproducing accurately AND fully the sRGB space is (by experience) enough -for me- for proofing either CMYK or sRGB design. But the monitors that can reproduce at a great percentage the sRGB space (and not at around 75% as mainstream consumer monitors and tvs do) and do so also correctly, are usually wide-gamut monitors (of either IPS or more rarely some TN panel technology) that operate in sRGB space (emulation). If i am not wrong standard gamut monitors cannot provide representation of 90%+ of the sRGB space nor have the tonal scaling qualities required for design work. 

Its a complicated matter for me and i am still learning , maybe some of my conclusions are wrong here.

I think you are mixed up a little. Wide-gamut is special because it requires more than 16.7million colors (8-bit color space). Only monitors that have 10-bit or higher (1 billion colors) can support wide-gamut (you also need a pro video card). Generally speaking, if you are buying a pro monitor that is 30inch, yes it's most likely going to support more than 8-bit. If its a normal 30" consumer monitor, I think its doubtful because it's a waste to the average user.

a quick tip for spotting a potential wide-gamut monitor:

1: IPS Panel:

2: 10+ bit color space

3: Display port

4: They usually like to say 1 billion colors supported every few lines on the main page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide-gamut_RGB_color_space