Gun control

Coors

The gun show loophole is a myth, based on the fact that perfectly legal face to face purchases between individuals sometimes happen there.  FFL dealers follow the law, gun show or not.

When I say I'm an advocate for gun control, it does mean taking away certain things like high capacity clips/drums. I am an advocate for stronger background checks and closing of certain loopholes, such as the gun show exception. More about controlling who gets to use guns, than taking away a right (that I disagree with and is misinterpreted often). Whether or not you want to admit it, there are certain people who should not have guns. I think it's ridiculous to attempt to argue that mentally unstable people should be able to own and operate a gun. Yet, this is exactly what I see people on the right wing trying to do.

Right now you can't purchase a gun if you have a history of certain mental illnesses or a criminal record.Guess what? It works. Guess where people with mental illnesses or criminal records get their guns? Illegal sales. So how will stronger checks benefit us?

I think it's down to the state or region how they apply gun laws exactly. This is another one of my problems with the current gun legislation. If you don't like the gun laws where you live, just go to a different state with looser regulation.

You go ahead and try that, let me know it turns out. The firearm is sent to an FFL in your state to complete the transaction and paperwork. I have a friend who bought a pistol from a Cabellas in Wisconsin (I live right along the west shore of the Mississippi). He was still subject to all the laws of Iowa and such.

When I say I'm an advocate for gun control, it does mean taking away certain things like high capacity clips/drums. I am an advocate for stronger background checks and closing of certain loopholes, such as the gun show exception. More about controlling who gets to use guns, than taking away a right (that I disagree with and is misinterpreted often). Whether or not you want to admit it, there are certain people who should not have guns. I think it's ridiculous to attempt to argue that mentally unstable people should be able to own and operate a gun. Yet, this is exactly what I see people on the right wing trying to do.

Can you explain the "gun show exception" loophole. I honestly don't know what people mean when they say that.

There is an exception to the useless background check, if you go through a gun show. In that instance, any old person can just walk up and buy any gun at all. Thank the NRA for that.

I thought that was what was meant. Dealers still have to run the check.

The gun show loophole is a myth, based on the fact that perfectly legal face to face purchases between individuals sometimes happen there.  FFL dealers follow the law, gun show or not.

And you don't have to go to a gunshow to sell between individuals. So I believe you are correct in stating "the gun show loophole is a myth".

Whats all this about mental illness? they should be punished liked the rest, mental illness is no excuse for terrorism.

Too many fuckers get off light because of this mental illness wish wash.

they should be punished liked the rest

This could well be the crux of many of the issues we see today. You see our correctional system is designed to rehabilitate and not punish people. Do not get me wrong I think a kid that took a car for a joyride or stole a candy bar should be rehabilitated, taught to not do this again. But when you get to violent crimes and repeat offenders than I think a punishment should be leveled and it should be harsh and cruel. The purpose of the "punishment" is supposed to be a deterrent from others doing the same thing. When we make the punishment weak and wimpy then there is no deterrent.

Whats all this about mental illness? they should be punished liked the rest, mental illness is no excuse for terrorism.

Too many fuckers get off light because of this mental illness wish wash.

As someone who worked with the mentally retarded for several years, I fully agree. As someone who lives with mental illness, I'll say it depends on the person and situation.

they should be punished liked the rest

This could well be the crux of many of the issues we see today. You see our correctional system is designed to rehabilitate and not punish people. Do not get me wrong I think a kid that took a car for a joyride or stole a candy bar should be rehabilitated, taught to not do this again. But when you get to violent crimes and repeat offenders than I think a punishment should be leveled and it should be harsh and cruel. The purpose of the "punishment" is supposed to be a deterrent from others doing the same thing. When we make the punishment weak and wimpy then there is no deterrent.

The problem is that spending time in the clink is a status symbol at the street level. The punshment needs to be just that. Rehabilitation should happen after the punishment is served not during. My idea of punishment is in a cell with no access to anything but books, structured excercise and meals. Other than that the time should be spent in a cell reflecting on what landed you there in the first place.

I know not all gun owners are morons, but you guys get the absolute worst people to represent yourselves. The advocates create a perfect caricature that liberals love to hate. All they do is make a case to prove more gun control is needed. Some people enjoy going to a shooting range, want to protect their house or go hunting, I get that. What I don't get is why mentally unstable people should be afforded the same right as others. People get too hung up on the constitutional right, without focusing on what they actually support.

I know not all gun owners are morons, but you guys get the absolute worst people to represent yourselves. The advocates create a perfect caricature that liberals love to hate. All they do is make a case to prove more gun control is needed. Some people enjoy going to a shooting range, want to protect their house or go hunting, I get that. What I don't get is why mentally unstable people should be afforded the same right as others. People get too hung up on the constitutional right, without focusing on what they actually support.

Actually, anyone with a history of mental illess CANNOT legally purchase a gun, at least not from a licensed gun shop or dealer.