Who uses a UPS?

Cespenar

I  just took a few old batteries to a battery shop for disposal.

Makes me ask the above question.  I have had 2 UPS's and both blew up. You know how it is! Smoke, sparks, a zap noise and stink.

The first one lasted about 2 or 3 years.

The second one lasted about a day. Replaced and lasted a week. I think I got a third or fourth, but the last one lasted about a year.

Not a good run by any means.

I wonder if you folk use these things and what sort of life you get out of them.

And before you comment, Yes! I was lucky to be at home when they blew!

Regards from C ........

I have about 15 different ones and I have never had any of the issues that you describe thankfully.

Usually the batteries last me 1-2 years depending on the unit, and have a few batteries that have lasted 3 years.

I've only had one (just use it as a surge protector now) but yeah my battery lasted about 1-2 years like Bosco said and then it made an annoying ear-piercing alarm (that means it's either running on battery power or the battery should be replaced, so out it went)

No explosions though, I probably could get a new battery but I don't think it could supply enough power to my current system.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I have about 15 different ones and I have never had any of the issues that you describe thankfully.

Usually the batteries last me 1-2 years depending on the unit, and have a few batteries that have lasted 3 years.

Sorry if I was misleading.

The batteries were fine. It was the electronics part of the UPS that blew up.

I paid $200 for the first one and $100 for the second one. Price doesn't really count as we pay a lot more for these things in Aussie.

And brand wise I never saw more than about 2 brands at the time. Maybe more now, but I will just buy a new mobo and CPU if I get zapped with lightning. My son never used one so he is $300 better of than me.

In all my years of living I have never experienced and interruptance to the power supply at home that's taken out any electronics. I'll take my chances and replace something if need be and blackouts are the rarest thing so they're a non issue even more so with a laptop as my primary.

I have a few around here. I had a couple Belkin units go belly up. One of them would just shut off randomly after a minute or two. I have APC ones now of varying sizes. I have one for my PC, one for the cable modem and router and one on the wife's PC. I get an occasional drop in voltage in my home office, so the UPS help control the effects on my PC.

I live in a storm prone area of the country.  After having suffered two fairly large claims for lightening damage - I decided I had better do something proactive before my insurance company dumped my home owners insurance or raised my rates past the point I could afford them.

So my UPS systems;

a) insulate me against claims by my home owners insurance

b) haven't had a loss claim since I installed them

c) on my primary computer, modem and router - give me a little extra time to monitor the weather conditions when those spring stroms are forecast or do hit should I lose power

In all my years of living I have never experienced and interruptance to the power supply at home that's taken out any electronics. I'll take my chances and replace something if need be and blackouts are the rarest thing so they're a non issue even more so with a laptop as my primary.

^this

Sorry if I was misleading.

The batteries were fine. It was the electronics part of the UPS that blew up.

I paid $200 for the first one and $100 for the second one. Price doesn't really count as we pay a lot more for these things in Aussie.

And brand wise I never saw more than about 2 brands at the time. Maybe more now, but I will just buy a new mobo and CPU if I get zapped with lightning. My son never used one so he is $300 better of than me.

Never seen that happen before. Thank god :)