Phenom II X4 955 AM3 Tested

jammin

Stock volts isn't even the point I was starting with. I'm just saying when AMD can't overclock higher than Intel's previous lineup than it can be labeled as having limited overclocking headroom.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stock volts isn't even the point I was starting with. I'm just saying when AMD can't overclock higher than Intel's previous lineup than it can be labeled as having limited overclocking headroom.

AMD has never been able to do that...

The main problem, it seems, with Phenom IIs is that they love the cold, and don't run hot. Now this seems good, except that you can't pump out that 4 GHz + on air as easy because they get too warm, even though "too warm" for them is only in the 50C's.

Still, the 955 looks to overclock better than the 940.

AMD has never been able to do that...

But they have been able to outperform Intel with lower clocks. But the clockspeeds back then weren't really as compareable as they are today as far as Mhz/performance is concerned.

But they have been able to outperform Intel with lower clocks. But the clockspeeds back then weren't really as compareable as they are today as far as Mhz/performance is concerned.

The 940 I just got yesterday clocks to 3.8 GHz on stock voltage. If you call that a poor overclocker...well, I don't know what to say.

The 940 I just got yesterday clocks to 3.8 GHz on stock voltage. If you call that a poor overclocker...well, I don't know what to say.

I call it a poor overclocker! Hah! Now I've made Waco speechless! :P But I agree that today's chips seem to get really high on stock volts.

Where did I say it was a "poor" overclocker? It is "limited" when compared to other chips on the market aka i7. I'm not bashing AMD here. No need to defend it. But I am calling it as I see it and the numbers don't lie.

Forget about AMD cpu's being poor overclockers.

I'd have to say Waco is a poor overclocker though. ;)

Well for the price its a pretty good processor. Its ~$25 cheaper than the i7 920 :)

Im more of a Intel not a fanboy but something near that, but im starting to like the Phenom II more and more :)

Well for the price its a pretty good processor. Its ~$25 cheaper than the i7 920 :)

Agreed! And the real savings comes when you figure in the memory and motherboard which are also both substantially cheaper for Phenom than i7. If people want to spend more money on DDR3 for their PhenomII, they're perfectly able to but I think the real value here is that it still accepts DDR2 and AM2+ motherboards which are very inexpensive and perform just as well.

I think when you figure the difference in total cost of cpu/mobo/mem versus the performance differences, PhenomII really shines.