Seasonic X-460 or Kingwin Stryker STR-500

He's going to order the Seasonic X650 since it's basically the same fanless design on loads 350 watt or less and gives you the ability to run sli someday or carry it over to another build and it's the same price so I'm glad I asked before getting the x460. Thanks people!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I have nothing against quite building but low voltage ram won't make a difference that is noticeable getting ram with a smaller die size would help.

Do you know how to suspend HDDs with rubber straps in 5 1/2" bays?

Definitely upgrade all your fans rubber mount even if unessacery.

PSU and RAM atm I would say you are going over the top. Say money and spend it more wisely on areas that will help more, primarily the fans and CPU cooler. I assume you don't have the zalman yet.

To really get noise down you could consider watercooling. Quite pump quite fans 240 rad all to the GPU and you could look at near inaudible levels for 60C load temps.

Otherwise you are looking at a manual 40% fan for very tolerable levels (bare in mind my reference is sli 560s with dc-II cooling that sit 30cm from my ear tops) higher than this gets a bit louder than I am comfortable with, under ky desk I was cool with 60% beside my head not a chance :lol:

Yes I will be suspending the hdd, not the ssd tho no point. Watercooling would require the top panel to come off allowing more noise leakage so thats a no go and way more money too.

His tower will be going on the ground actually on a shelf a couple inches off the ground, it's built into the desk to hold a desktop. I'd say you ears would be about 2 meters away from the case. So slightly higher fan speeds should be tolerable.

Most 'great' PSU are very quite that under normal circumstances (normal enclosure, high load) you wouldn't hear a thing. I've seen many reviews were these PSUs are put on a hot box for testing and still barely noticeable. He's using a silent case with quality sound dampening foam so I really don't see the point for him to spend extra on 'the most' silent PSU really.

Every part he chooses he wants the quietest and coolest he can get.

Why not get Noctua coolers then? It'll be dead silent while still having overclocking potential should he need to.