Looking at new case/psu

I recently got my hands on an old desktop for free. It was built with generic parts, the case and power supply are just awful. I was looking at getting an Aerocool X-Predator in black and an OCZ Modxstream Pro 700 watt

Has anybody had or ever used either of those components, are they any good. How well built is the case, how well does it cool. Also the PSU how is it for realiability and is the modular section implemented well (e.g. are the only a couple of the cables that are actually removable; I realise some are fixed but an idea for how much neater they can be would be nice).

If any alternative is offered then they need to be within the following (ight) budget

PSU- AU$80-140

Must be modular

At least 600 watt

Case- AU$100-170

I can handle ugly but god-awful is out

Tool-less

Supports at least one 180mm+ fan.

I was looking at a raven aswell, a bit ugly but they do offer good cooling from what I've heard. If I save money on one part then I'd put the remainder towards the other (total budget is around 300 but if the parts are worth it then I'd increase). This is part of a larger upgrade build, but I can't actually do anything until my PSU is upgraded and as it was bundled and bolted to the case then that means I'll need a new case aswell (generic model case god awful cooling).

AUS prices? Talk to Stonerboy. He's all over good priced parts in your corner of the world. :)

Awesome thanks. Still anybody got any ideas about either of these components. I chose them off pccasegear.com $150 for the case and $99 for the PSU. I'll ask Stonerboy if there are any better prices. And if I can ship to AUS then I don't mind ordering abroad (don't mind paying for shipping, it won't come out of parts budget)

PSU thoughts -

Don't get that OCZ PSU. It's an older model with low power on separate 12v rails.

My recommendations:

For a few dollars more: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_535&products_id=19151 This PSU has all of its power available on the 12v rail and there's only one of them - so no balancing needed.

Another option: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_535&products_id=17085 A bit cheaper, slightly less powerful than the above PSU. Still very efficient and has all of its power available on a single 12v rail.

Case thoughts -

This one is simple, and "cheap": http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_547&products_id=18314 It's also extremely quiet and can fit very long GPUs without any real effort.

This one (our resident reviewer BluePanda just reviewed it as well) is also quite nice: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_547&products_id=19138 It cools relatively well and is quite stylish. Here's the OCC review: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/bitfenix_raider/

I'm a sucker for Lian-Li cases, so this suggestion is a must: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_547&products_id=18738 It's just plain sexy. It's inexpensive, cools well, and is just plain classy.

Anyway - there's my thoughts. :cheers:

EDIT: If you go with a cheaper case, I'd suggest bumping up to this PSU if possible: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_535&products_id=17209 I don't know what kind of hardware you want to run but this PSU would last you a VERY long time. :)

:thx: I had no idea about the 12 volt rail part. Thanks! I think I'll go with Thermaltake (The Corsair would be great but I'm not that rich). As for the case, agreed the Lan-Li is gorgeous, I'm caught up between the Lan-Li the Aerocool and this http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_238&products_id=18956 I was going to go white put then I'd have to stick an aperture science logo on the side!

Thanks, I'll be sure to post which one I decide on and a few pics of the old monstrosity. :D

All of the shipping cost is primarily on the case.

Just compared case and PSU with $54 of shipping to PSU only for $12 shipping. On it's own $50 was tacked on to ship the case to Launceston.

Anyway I am a sucker for Silverstone PSUs and well you can get either the Strider Plus 750 Watt for $135 or the Strider Plus 600 Watt for $109. Imo the 750 Watt Silverstone Strider plus PSU is worth the $135 with a 80+ silver rating full modular design silent running (I can testify to that) standard not extended ATX design which is nice to see in a high power PSU 2x 6 pin and 2x 6+2 pin pci-e connectors and least but not least single 12v rail design it covers everything that I look for in a PSU. The 600 watt is the same but only bronze rated and going for the 750 would be better if you ever make it to dual mid to high range GPUs in the future.

And in cases for me clean lines always win which is why I love SIlverstone and Lan Li cases but their respective prices are useually really high which is understandable because of the quality of parts and workmanship. There are however cases from both fractal design and bitfenix that follow similar design.

First up the Fractal Design Arc MIdi the case I recomend offers great looks, cooling and all around features especially if you ever move to watercooling. This when paired with the Silverstone 750 Watt PSU comes to $264 with an additional $54 bringing it to $322 total to Launceston.

Or more budget orientated is the Bitfenix Shinobi case it can have up to 6 120mm fans for great airflow and can allow for installation of long GPUs and tbh looks mighty sleek from the outside.

I don't know why 180mm fan installation is crucial neither of these cases allow it if you could explain why it would help and also one other thing do you want a window or no because again neither of these cases have one. If you go with the Bitfenix case their is the potential for you to also add in a new CPU Cooler (if you are still using stock) and add in additonal fans to get some seriously good air cooling going. If you go this way i say get the CoolerMaster 212 EVO.

Looking at the strider it seems really nice (100% modular is awesome). I might go with the extra expense for the 720 watt; it seems worth it (especially if it's quiet, my current one is easily identified as cheap just from the amount of noise it makes).

As for cases, the Fractal looks nice, a window would be cool but I find that it doesn't really matter, there are plenty of great looking windowless designs out there. The 180mm fan requirement seems odd but its only because I find that companies that include the ability to mount larger fans usually have more cooling options and larger areas to tuck cables into (cable management is a biggie for me, hence the modular requirement). As for the design of the case, either aggressive or clean is fine. I don't really have a preference; both look good in their own right. As long as it has space to tidy cables, plenty of options to add multiple fan sizes then its fine. Thanks for working out the shipping by the way, its cheaper than I expected.

Edit:

So I was looking through all of the cases in my price range on PCCG.I've decided on:

Aercool Predator X in Black.

Was the biggest, most features, more options to mount fans and better cable management

As for the PSU I'm going with Stonerdude's recommendation.

Silverstone Strider 750 watt

100% modular plenty of watts and cool features (small form factor and 80plus silver).

Thanks guys for helping me choose! I'm going to order the parts on the weekend, I might have to order the case a PSU separate though as I don't have enough to get both just yet (though I'll have to see the difference in shipping cost).

Edited by Daragh

• 2 weeks later...