Case fan advice

Busterbvi

Greetings.

I will be upgrading soon and while I am at it I want to re configure my case and board fans as I did not do it correctly the first time !

The CPU cooler fan will be PWM and plugged into the board header.  The front, lower & side intake and top exhaust fans will be non 

PWM and connected to a Scythe controller on the front panel.  The rear CPU cooler exhaust fan will be PWM and plugged into the 

board chassis fan header.  Is this the correct way to do it ?

After some research I am looking at SilenX 120mm fans to do the job as these seem a good compromise between low noise and

good airflow. Can anyone recommend better fans ?

What speed range should I choose for the PWM CPU fans and non PWM case fans ?

I am aiming for a silent PC so I want manual control of the case fans so I can find the sweet spot.

Thanks, Buster.

PWM fans are good but not really worth that much more than normal fans. The main difference is PWM fans have dynamic power based on fan speed where as normal fans (3pin) have a linear voltage. When you see the fan slow down, it's because of lower voltage and those fans can have problems running below 50% speed. PWM fans on the other hand, i've seen all the way down to just a slow rotation. I guess it also depends on the brand...

That being said the SilenX looks like a awesome fan but I have never used it personally.  You really want to be looking at CFM and db levels because that will tell you how loud the fan will get. I'm guessing because 74 CFM is a crazy amount for 15db, that it's for the low speed and 1400rpm is much louder.  I suggest looking between 45-60 CFM.

I use COUGAR CF-V12H fans and  Cougar Turbine CF-T12S4 . I bought a bunch when it was $7 on sale and the v12 you cannot hear until about max speed. The turbine ones, they start to make some noise around 70% speed.

For sound, up to 20db you will not hear it at all. around 25db is when you will hear a wooshing sound and maybe buzzing. once again it depends on the brand and how good of hearing you have