Return of AMD FX: My OC'd AMD FX 8150 with OC'd 6990 Review -

Here is a Intel Vs AMD thread this club missed out on but I will share it. Stock and core for core at 4,2GHz with the exact hardware...

http://forums.pureoverclock.com/showthread.php?15766-AMD-vs-Intel.-PureOverclock-s-CPU-comparison-thread

That was pretty interesting to see, unfortunately it doesn't really give any information that you can't get from normal reviews. Still though, good work!

I'm a huge fan of AMD as far as their Radeons are concerned. I even tried out the phenom x6 procs. Unfortunately AMD really blew it big with bulldozer. Anyone that wants a serious gaming machine is never going to choose bulldozer. You really should sell your system as quick as possible and get an ivy bridge set up.

The only hope AMD has now is the APU's with mid-lower radeons integrated. If they can really develop the APU line and make some nice performance strides in that area they can really make some money. Can you imagine with the ultrabook explosion if AMD can get the integrated graphics up to where you can play all your games on the 1366x768 ultrabook screens or 1600x900 for some. APU's also will be amazing for the htpc world. If amd can capture a large chunk of the ultrabook sales as well as mid sized gaming laptops with crossfire igpu + ext radeon and the htpc market. They can do pretty well. It's all gonna come down to can they get a 6850/5770 level gpu integrated within a year or so.

Also if they can get the APU's CPU power = to sandybridge by 2013 that would be a win

Edited by Laststop

Why should he get a Ivy Bridge? Just for a better CPU? When Intel is probably dropping his 1155 socket next year to a new microarquitecture?

At the same time, if you don't really need a 2500k for gaming, you don't really need a Bulldozer for gaming and with the extra money I would keep with a AMD system (since its cheaper), I could buy a better GPU.

Another thing is that after the Zambezi Bulldozer, will be the Vishera Piledriver, the Steamroller and finally the Excavator, based on the Bulldozer. The Vishera is going to be AM3+ for sure but the Steamroller and Excavator isn't certain to be AM3+ since AMD is makeing some testing with the FM1 and FM2.

The bulldozer not being really good is normal for the first release of a new microarquitecture. AMD first released the Phenom, which wasn't good, than released the Phenom II and it is what it is today. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Bad news everyone, my ASUS Crosshair V is officially DEAD. I will be purchasing :

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD7 AM3+

With:

Geil Evo Two DDR3 - 2400 Mhz (2x4Gb)

(10-11-11-30)

--or --

Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 - 2133 Mhz (2x4Gb)

(9-11-10-27)

I am learning for simply the better ram, their prices are near identical.

By I am leaning more towards the Geil (I have had really bad history with Corsair except for their PSU's, that is three individual cases of faulty ssd / ddr3 ram)

Help me choose which ram I should get! I would love to get your guys' opinion on this! ^^

Also, I will be redoing my benchmarks with Windows 8 Consumer Preview!

Stay tuned for this Upgrade. and Results! Thanks for all the support and everybody's patience! ^^

Vote now here

http://AMDFX.blogspot.com

You say theyre nonsense graphs, but i am simply testing my rig and comparing to what reviewers got. Whats wrong with that? I already stated that drivers could be different. And ram differences could make the difference but i doubt it : / . Ram speeds will not affect benchmark scores by more than 5% , unless they are directly related to memory read/write/copy speeds such as in Maxx Mem scores.

The original graphs weren't nonsense, because they were (for the most part) ran with similar or comparable hardware. I can put Albery Pujols in a batting cage and compare those hits to everyone else's hits in an official game, but that's not realistic and yields useless data. That's basically what you're doing. The only constant you have in any of these benchmarks is your "optimal" AMD OC'd 8150 with an OC'd 6990. You're comparing it to everything from a 5.0GHz 2500K with a 6970 to a stock 2500K and acting like the two 2500K's are one in the same.

I'm intrigued to see what Drdeath's benchies look like where the only variable will be the motherboard and CPU, not...everything else too.

+1 for effort though. :thumbsup:

PS. I've been an AMD fan since my K8 Sledgehammer rig back in 2003. This 2500K build I'm currently running is my first Intel rig in ~9 years and I don't regret making the switch. Intel has too much money and too many resources for AMD to overtake them in the near or distance future. They should focus more on GPU's and keep nvidia on the ropes.

You say theyre nonsense graphs, but i am simply testing my rig and comparing to what reviewers got. Whats wrong with that? I already stated that drivers could be different. And ram differences could make the difference but i doubt it : / . Ram speeds will not affect benchmark scores by more than 5% , unless they are directly related to memory read/write/copy speeds such as in Maxx Mem scores.

5% difference would not make an accurate comparison is what I was saying. Same Ram, same timings, same GPU(S) same clock speeds makes an accuraye comparison. Hey if Bulldozer sucks why give it 5% more on its score. Not accurate...LOL

It is a great effort either way. 2400MGhz to 1600MHz can be bigger than 5% difference in some applications.

5% difference would not make an accurate comparison is what I was saying. Same Ram, same timings, same GPU(S) same clock speeds makes an accuraye comparison. Hey if Bulldozer sucks why give it 5% more on its score. Not accurate...LOL

It is a great effort either way. 2400MGhz to 1600MHz can be bigger than 5% difference in some applications.

Its all still a pointless waste.

BD sucks intel wins. We will see if that changes with pile driver. :dunno:

That is the best argument that can be given.

I don't understand why the PC world is still doing graphs and charts about CPU performance. I feel like the subject has been beaten to death about 100000000000 times too many and the outcome is always to either spend the LITTLE extra money on intel (only 50 max and it is usually only 30, and for most users who are looking at the 8150 for gaming will save money by going with the 2500K), or buy crap.