Help constant BSOD

So my brother built his PC for modelling and game making, however there is a problem. It blue screens quite often. I've seen it bluescreen twice already, and it seems to occur whenever the CPU has to fire up, along with the GPU. I'm basing this off the fact that whenever we fire up minecraft and a server at the same time and run it for 2 hours plus it goes on us. I think its the power supply (he is using the OCZ Modxstream pro that I was told not to use). The specs are as follows:

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular

Samsung EcoGreen F4 2TB HD204UI

SilverStone Raven RV02-E with Window

Sapphire Radeon HD6950 2GB

Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW OEM

Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

Intel Core i5 2500k

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM

OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD 2.5"

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 Motherboard

We are going to take it apart and check connections, might run a stress test on each of the components and try to get the particular BSOD error. I'll post when we get it again. It's a mystery though- like I said I think its the power supply but there is no point buying a new one if thats not the problem. Maybe I should try my new one in his build and stress test again if another BSOD pops up with his PSU? What do you guys think?

What is the BSOD code that you get when you duplicate the Issue. Other then that at what time does it come on. Is it regardless of what you are doing or is it isolated to one function that causes the BSOD.

What is the BSOD code that you get when you duplicate the Issue. Other then that at what time does it come on. Is it regardless of what you are doing or is it isolated to one function that causes the BSOD.

Yea, I'm going to post that as soon as I get a stress test going (this weekend perhaps); read previous post for times and such that it seems to pop up. One of the computers at his UNI aswell keeps getting a yellow screen of death, never heard of it but I'm guessing its something like a videocard dying (or the monitor). Maybe he is just cursed :dunno:

Did you brother OC that 2500K? If he did then his overclock might not be stable. If he didn't, most likely a board issue.

Make sure to tell us the BSOD code when it happens again..

No overclock, and like I said- I'll do my best to get the code. I'm going to leave minecraft server and minecraft running for a good while along with google chrome and a few tabs. This is how the last BSOD occured. The code I remember was all 0's with one three and 3 X's

No overclock, and like I said- I'll do my best to get the code. I'm going to leave minecraft server and minecraft running for a good while along with google chrome and a few tabs. This is how the last BSOD occured. The code I remember was all 0's with one three and 3 X's

Most new builds that have this issue are Thermal Paste related, it sounds true of yours also as you mentioned in the first post that is happens when the CPU is stressed. Overheating and Thermal paste sounds more likely than the power supply

unless, as you mentioned you were told not to use it, there is some manufacturing defect involved with it.

Most new builds that have this issue are Thermal Paste related, it sounds true of yours also as you mentioned in the first post that is happens when the CPU is stressed. Overheating and Thermal paste sounds more likely than the power supply

unless, as you mentioned you were told not to use it, there is some manufacturing defect involved with it.

He brings a good point. is the computer dirty By chance? or is the heatsink not all the way on quite right?

True, checked the build it seemed fine, a lot of dust though (these problems started 4-5 weeks after the computer was bought; it was built in November). I will check the temperatures though; thanks, I never thought of that. It is the stock intel cooler aswell but we checked and there was no dust in the fins, any dusty sections we gave a good blast of compressed air with (in a can of course). All parts were ordered brand new and from PC Case Gear, Waco told me not to order that PSU; however this was when I was asking which one I should order he said

"Don't get that OCZ PSU. It's an older model with low power on separate 12v rails."

I should hopefully have some numbers and a proper error code tonight.

This is reply is funny.

Download coretemp and post the temps.

BSOD is a hardware error and is usually NOT the motherboard. start with temps. Then make sure all drivers are up to date. Next have PSU tested. Then move to stress test GPU only. There are many things that can cause a BSOD.

I'll get on to that, still waiting to actually get to the computer though, I'll get my brother on the forum, it's his computer so he'll know more details than I do (I don't live with him)

Overheating won't cause BSOD. Trust me on this one. If the CPU fan doesn't work your computer will just shut down and not BSOD. Get the code and we'll know exactly what's going on. If you didn't overclock it's possible that it may be a video card driver issue.