Your Sound Equipment

Fogel

"It's not the size that does matter, what matters most is the performance" ~ A random guy. :lol:

I believe that's along the lines of;

"My wavelength may be short but my frequency is out of this world" ~ Howard Wolowitz :teehee:

When it comes to car audio if your car wont do 30mph with the engine off powered by just the subwoofers, they're not big enough. At least that how I used to feel, as the factory stereos now are pack plenty of punch. I currently use a set of fender headphones which seem to have the needed range up & down, with very low total harmonic distortion, and very low clip.

Can't seem to get away with watching a movie loud through surround sound as it always seems to interfere with someones activities or inactivity, wasting a beautiful Sony A/V amps potential. I always seem to live longer playing games with headphones on due to the direct injection of sound into the already battered eardrums.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got to work with some Bryston amps today. 2 of them had some issues are going to be sent in for repair. I wish I had the cash to buy one. But I might get a rotel instead, they are a bit cheaper and IMHO look cooler to.

photo17of.jpg

Edited by Black64

• 2 months later...

From the start ~2 years ago?

Essence STX and the Q701s (people on head-fi had issues with the D1......later I learned they were full of you know what)

That kept me happy for a while. Eventually I went to a head-fi meet to test stuff out to see what I wanted to upgrade to. I met a guy who made his own tube amps. 

He has since lead me into this financial hole  :lol:

The DAC above is a jolida that has been upgraded with hovland capacitors and some nicer RCA tubes. 

The thing with the single tube is the power supply that feeds into the main amp. From the amp it goes to the celestion 3s which have also been upgraded with a ton of silver wire and vintage PIO caps :D . Though I am looking at possibly going with some nice field coil speakers. 

I still have my Q701s, but I will sell those soon and either get some HE-500s or possibly some used LCD2 headphones. 

I could have had a car....but nooooooo. You just had to get me addicted to audio gear  :teehee:

• 1 month later...

Just upgraded my PC audio system. I bought the AudioQuest Dragonfly DAC and the Schiit Modi DAC and I will setting them up this weekend. Also picked up a class T amp, the Topping TP40.

Now to find some new speakers...

Denon AVR 2808 Ci

Denon.AVR-2808CI.prelim.jpg

PSB Alpha T1 Flor Standings Speakers

psb%20alpha%20t1.jpg

PSB Alpha Subwoofer

200312_098a_depth1.jpg?1230020822

Mediabridge Ultra Series Subwoofer Cable (15Ft)

subwoofer-cables-1.png

Mediabridge Ultra Series Pure Copper Speaker Cable - (25 Feet)

DTL_SPXX-16B_NEW%20coil.jpg

More then a Happy withe the sound from CD/DVD and BD.

From the start ~2 years ago?

Essence STX and the Q701s (people on head-fi had issues with the D1......later I learned they were full of you know what)

That kept me happy for a while. Eventually I went to a head-fi meet to test stuff out to see what I wanted to upgrade to. I met a guy who made his own tube amps. 

He has since lead me into this financial hole  :lol:

The DAC above is a jolida that has been upgraded with hovland capacitors and some nicer RCA tubes. 

The thing with the single tube is the power supply that feeds into the main amp. From the amp it goes to the celestion 3s which have also been upgraded with a ton of silver wire and vintage PIO caps :D . Though I am looking at possibly going with some nice field coil speakers. 

I still have my Q701s, but I will sell those soon and either get some HE-500s or possibly some used LCD2 headphones. 

I could have had a car....but nooooooo. You just had to get me addicted to audio gear  :teehee:

LCD2's? Damn. I just had a friend sell his for $600+ The earpads were slightly scuffed and the exterior alittle rusted, so I figure its a decent sale. Some people really don't like the LCD2 soundstage, best to try them out first.

Ooooh yeah. Audeze has a new closed LCD prototype, I've not had the pleasure myself, but I hear very good things.

MrSpeakers has this new 3D printed version of the MadDogs, calls it the AlphaDogs. I might shell out $600 to give it a go.

Edited by Tervalentfrog

I have tried out the LCD2 and the LCD3. Both of them are nice. I think what people end up running into is that they do not have a good enough amp to really drive the LCD2s. I just went to the capital audiofest in DC a fews weeks ago, and Woo Audio was showing off all their products. I have heard the LCD2s many times before this, but this was the first time where I heard the same issues that people generally complain about. 

I ABed a few amps, and they all made the LCD2s sound flat. I ABed woo audio to the new burson conductor amp. There was an ungodly difference. The sound stage just blew open and the bass was improved. 

On paper, the woo audio products have enough power to drive the LCD2s, but in practice woo audio stuff sucks. 

I mean my amp is essentially a speaker amp with a lot more power than a headphone amp, and it just barely makes planar headphones sound as good as they should. 

Anyways.

I ended up getting the HD600s for the moment because my friend needed some cash and after selling the Q701s I only paid 10 bucks out of pocket for them. 

Sooooooooooooo much better. Mostly they are just a thousand times more comfy and the bass is definitely better. The Q701s sounded a bit airier, but I like these too. 

I am trying to sell some stuff and get the stax lamda nova pro headphones. The HD600s will remain my primary dynamic headphone, then the LCD3 or the HE-6 will be my main planar headphone, and then the stax lamda will be my electrostatic headphone (provided I do not get the sennheiser HE-60s)