Monster build - academic exercise

graylion

Hi folks

I recently read this article on Tom's Hardware which shows that for multi screen layouts CPU performance, especially with AMD GPUs, CPU power still plays a significant r

Edited by graylion

You could replace one 7970 with a 670/680 then :tongue:

AMD does not have an equivalent to PhysX unfortunately, closest they get is parallel processing with OpenCL. That isn't generally used in games though. NVIDIA only have PhysX because they bought a company (Aeiga IIRC) that were developing that technology.

I doubt it will be dual-CPU, but certainly 32 cores and upwards

Edited by EuroFight

I doubt it will be dual-CPU, but certainly 32 cores and upwards

you mad?

most games dont even support 4 let alone 32 lol

not yet. But the name of the game is adding cores, as we already see. We have pretty much reached the end of scale for individual cores, that is why we are seeing CPUs with increasingly more cores. Games developers will have to follow suit. Skyrim seems to support multi core pretty well for instance.

I read dual CPUs is slower for gaming because both CPU can see the L3 cache causing some lag to happen. I think it was an anandtech article but it was very detailed. I just don't see anyone needing for tham a 6core intel for gaming.

edit: You are wasting a few grand if you building that just for gaming. I hope you realize this. each Xeon E5-2687W  cost as much to build me a GTX 690 gaming rig lol.

Edited by hornybluecow

you mad?

most games dont even support 4 let alone 32 lol

not yet. But the name of the game is adding cores, as we already see. We have pretty much reached the end of scale for individual cores, that is why we are seeing CPUs with increasingly more cores. Games developers will have to follow suit. Skyrim seems to support multi core pretty well for instance.
+1

My thoughts exactly, as games and software becomes more complex, developers will begin to use multiple cores more, for example, instead pig just shoving all the load onto two or four cores, let one manage terrain, another manage physics etc. Not only this but software too.

My thoughts exactly, as games and software becomes more complex, developers will begin to use multiple cores more, for example, instead pig just shoving all the load onto two or four cores, let one manage terrain, another manage physics etc. Not only this but software too.

yeah in 3-5 years more than 4 cores will be fully used but by than this rig won't really fastest anymore