Microsoft removed windows 7 gadget support?

potatochobit

so i needed a little clock timer on my desktop so I opened up the windows 7 control panel and clicked on the personalization options and this is the screen I am greeted with

the Windows website no longer hosts the gadget gallery.

but Gadgets installed from untrusted sources can harm your computer

Goodbye gadgets, hello apps

Windows 8 comes with lots of great apps built in.

sometimes I just don't understand. 

do we have to beat microsoft over the head with a stick until they get it that no one wants windows 8?

and even If people want to use windows 8, why would they want all their other products to cease functioning?

if they want to add a windows 8 APP section, fine. But I see no reason to remove gadget support from windows 7 or windows vista other than to annoy the hell out of people.

You can still use W7 gadgets, you just won't find any new Microsoft sanctioned ones anymore.  While MS and other independent tests seemed to validate that black hats had managed to exploit vulnerabilities in some desktop gadgets, I for one remain skeptical that the problem was as widespread or as dangerous as they had first claimed.  

And I'll confess, after reading the first reports I was right on removing and disabling desktop gadgets on all my important machines.  But left my favorites running on one HTPC and my travel laptop.  All this time later I don't have a single piece of evidence that any of my common gadgets have been targeted or exploited.

If you wanna play it ultra safe just leave them disabled.  Or, if you subscribe to the conspiracy theory (that it was all part of MS plan to ween users off of them in prep for W8 and beyond) then you can continue to use them.

At this point all my favorite W7 gadgets are back on and running on all my machines without issue.  Interesting observation.....  If it was really all that, I'm surprised that MS has a readily available "Fix-It" that will allow you to turn desktop gadgets back on.

We can still use it, but those won't be Microsoft certified. So, what's the problem? Download them from reliable sources and use only the ones made by reputed groups.

Some of te widgets are too useful to be removed - at least to me.