Okay all you left wingers, explain this.

SpeedCrazy

So.... I was reading this morning that Maryland is planning to abolish the death penalty.

First i was like "Okay, whatever, its not like they use it anyway."

I was then reading an interview with the governor of the state and his comments on the deal, he instigated it,

"Evidence shows that the death penalty is not a deterrent, it cannot be administered without racial bias.."

And i was like, hmm okay i can see where you are coming from.

Then i read his next statement:

"...it costs three times as much as life in prison without parole,"

Then i was like: ????????? What in the world? What has this country come to that it costs more to kill a death row inmate than to feed clothe and look after them for their whole life? Seriously?

So i looked it up, and according to this article in 2008 it cost $37.2 million to kill one convict in Maryland. SERIOUSLY?????  As a rule i don't cuss but at this point i am definitely thinking what the hell is wrong with this country?

So someone, and yes I'm picking on the left because most of the right i know are in favor of quicker and cheaper execution, please explain this.

Edited by SpeedCrazy

Yep, I saw the same story which had absolutely no backup explamation. My guess is that all of the appeals and court appointed attys plus court costs are what make up most of the cost. And, no, I am not a lib. I do, however, live in Texas.

Edited by AkakmanH

Yep, I saw the same story which had absolutely no backup explanation. My guess is that all of the appeals and court appointed attys plus court costs are what make up most of the cost. And, no, I am not a lib. I do, however, live in Texas.

Still its excessive. I can buy a .44 bullet for almost 37 cents. Lot better than 37 million.

I don't know why it has to do anything with "left wingers". It's the "right wing" states that usually have the death penalty, and why it's so expensive, they're the ones that should explain themselves.

Anyways, look at Florida. They send the most inmates to death row, but also have the highest number of death row inmates who were later exonerated, acquitted, or had their charges dropped. That's one good reason to get rid of the death penalty. Our Justice System evolves as technology advances, where there's more evidence to correctly convict someone, it gives the judge and jury more insight in making a better decision.

Our legal system is setup by our government, led by greedy politicians, in a Capitalistic society. The only reason I think it would cost so much.

Yep, I saw the same story which had absolutely no backup explanation. My guess is that all of the appeals and court appointed attys plus court costs are what make up most of the cost. And, no, I am not a lib. I do, however, live in Texas.

Still its excessive. I can buy a .44 bullet for almost 37 cents. Lot better than 37 million.

Rope is cheap and it can be used more than once lol

• Like 1

$37 million is excessive. It's the time it takes to finally reach the point where the appeals process has played out and the convict can be executed.  There is no foolproof method of confirming guilt  but the impact of DNA testing has had both positive and negative results for the system. When you rely on witness testimony there is that chance for mistaken identity. It happens and has happened throughout history with far fewer "innocents"  paying that ultimate price now than any time in the past. The system has evolved. The reason the death penalty is losing its impact is the amount of time it takes to pay the price for the crime and that we do not see the dirty work of the executioner any longer. Its as cold and impersonal as possible.  

If the death penalty does not work, neither does the life without parole option.  Make it swift and make it public and there should be some impact. There is no such thing as swift justice anymore.......... 

I don't know why it has to do anything with "left wingers". It's the "right wing" states that usually have the death penalty, and why it's so expensive, they're the ones that should explain themselves.

Anyways, look at Florida. They send the most inmates to death row, but also have the highest number of death row inmates who were later exonerated, acquitted, or had their charges dropped. That's one good reason to get rid of the death penalty. Our Justice System evolves as technology advances, where there's more evidence to correctly convict someone, it gives the judge and jury more insight in making a better decision.

Our legal system is setup by our government, led by greedy politicians, in a Capitalistic society. The only reason I think it would cost so much.

I picked on the left as they tend to be the ones who make the systems so slow. and hence expensive. I agree tech is changing things but once we are as certain as we can be about guilt we ought to quickly and publicly execute them.

$37 million is excessive. It's the time it takes to finally reach the point where the appeals process has played out and the convict can be executed.  There is no foolproof method of confirming guilt  but the impact of DNA testing has had both positive and negative results for the system. When you rely on witness testimony there is that chance for mistaken identity. It happens and has happened throughout history with far fewer "innocents"  paying that ultimate price now than any time in the past. The system has evolved. The reason the death penalty is losing its impact is the amount of time it takes to pay the price for the crime and that we do not see the dirty work of the executioner any longer. Its as cold and impersonal as possible.  

If the death penalty does not work, neither does the life without parole option.  Make it swift and make it public and there should be some impact. There is no such thing as swift justice anymore.......... 

Why is there no like button on staff posts?

I normally tend to avoid these political discussions, but I just have to comment on these points.

First, you're claiming that the "right wing" is responsible for making it more expensive simply because it is "right wing" states with the death penalty is woefully naive. To explain I'm going to bring up something even more controversial than this topic. Please understand that this is not to cause the topic to digress, but only because it is a good comparison. Look at what is happening with abortion in, what you would likely call, "right wing" states. New laws and regulations are being put in place by the "right wingers" to deter the use of abortion, because they oppose it but cannot stop it. Impairing it is the best they can achieve. If "left wingers" cannot stop the death penalty then they too will attempt to impair it by instituting new laws and regulations to deter it, which increase costs.

You see, my point is that thanks to the system of government we have, even if the majority viewpoint is one thing, the implementation can be greatly effected by the minority viewpoints.

Your reasoning for getting rid of the death penalty because mistakes can occur in the judicial system is also faulty because truly that thinking implies, with as much strength, to the suggestion that the judicial system itself should be gotten rid of because of the mistakes it has made. That is utterly ridiculous.

That reasoning would be better put to use arguing for automatic appeals for any death sentence and a strengthening of the appeal process, to diminish the likelihood of a mistake. This is also an argument just about anyone will agree with, by the way.

Costs are high because the money has to be spent for one thing or another, such as the appeals process. Also, keeping the prisoners throughout the process and, I believe many of them are kept in solitary, which is more expensive than keeping them in the general population, add to the costs.

By the way, I do not support the death penalty. I just think your arguments are crap, which is why I'm commenting on them.

I normally tend to avoid these political discussions, but I just have to comment on these points.

First, you're claiming that the "right wing" is responsible for making it more expensive simply because it is "right wing" states with the death penalty is woefully naive. To explain I'm going to bring up something even more controversial than this topic. Please understand that this is not to cause the topic to digress, but only because it is a good comparison. Look at what is happening with abortion in, what you would likely call, "right wing" states. New laws and regulations are being put in place by the "right wingers" to deter the use of abortion, because they oppose it but cannot stop it. Impairing it is the best they can achieve. If "left wingers" cannot stop the death penalty then they too will attempt to impair it by instituting new laws and regulations to deter it, which increase costs.

You see, my point is that thanks to the system of government we have, even if the majority viewpoint is one thing, the implementation can be greatly effected by the minority viewpoints.

Your reasoning for getting rid of the death penalty because mistakes can occur in the judicial system is also faulty because truly that thinking implies, with as much strength, to the suggestion that the judicial system itself should be gotten rid of because of the mistakes it has made. That is utterly ridiculous.

That reasoning would be better put to use arguing for automatic appeals for any death sentence and a strengthening of the appeal process, to diminish the likelihood of a mistake. This is also an argument just about anyone will agree with, by the way.

Costs are high because the money has to be spent for one thing or another, such as the appeals process. Also, keeping the prisoners throughout the process and, I believe many of them are kept in solitary, which is more expensive than keeping them in the general population, add to the costs.

By the way, I do not support the death penalty. I just think your arguments are crap, which is why I'm commenting on them.

Well, to your point of abortion, I always thought it was quite hypocritical of the "right wing" to want a smaller government, yet impose a law to prevent a woman in making her own choice about what she can or can't do with her own body. That's another off topic discussion, anyway.

If you think the judicial system is perfect, that's your prerogative. In my opinion, nothing is perfect, but to strive towards perfection means constant evolution of making things better. That's progress. I said no such thing about getting rid of the judicial system, so I don't even know why you're coming in with that. That is utterly ridiculous even bringing that up.

I think your arguments are crap, too, but I'd rather not try to win an internet argument, so you win.

Well, to your point of abortion, I always thought it was quite hypocritical of the "right wing" to want a smaller government, yet impose a law to prevent a woman in making her own choice about what she can or can't do with her own body. That's another off topic discussion, anyway.

If you think the judicial system is perfect, that's your prerogative. In my opinion, nothing is perfect, but to strive towards perfection means constant evolution of making things better. That's progress. I said no such thing about getting rid of the judicial system, so I don't even know why you're coming in with that. That is utterly ridiculous even bringing that up.

I think your arguments are crap, too, but I'd rather not try to win an internet argument, so you win.

Perhaps you would have a higher opinion of my arguments if you actually read them properly and did not respond with a straw-man argument. I never once used the word 'perfect' to describe the judicial system. I stated that its appeal process and its ability to correct its mistakes are a strengths. Based on your statements you agree with me on this, so how about you stop trying to make an opposite out of your opponents so you can evolve yourself to something more perfect through a better understanding of other people.

My point was that your argument is flawed because identical logic can be applied to a ridiculous notion. Hence why I said, "truly that thinking implies." I never said it to suggest you believe that but to encourage you to reexamine your argument. This is also why I gave an alternative conclusion to that logic.

This statement stood out to me as much as the cost...

"Evidence shows that the death penalty is not a deterrent, it cannot be administered without racial bias.."

I am so sick of hearing this horse shit shoveled. I heard the other day of a school that has the federal government investigating if they give detention to more black kids. Now I understand that if the same number of kids of all races are getting into as much trouble and the one race is the only one getting detention but the issue seems that more of one race was actually getting into trouble.

Look I understand that at times we see statistics that seem disproportionate to the cultural makeup that that often is just the way things fall. I mean should we say Basketball need s a federal investigation because there are more blacks in it? Should we say that schools teaching physics should be examined because so few blacks take the courses?

Most so called racial bias is not a bias but the people but a cultural choice. You cannot legislate that away if you want true equality. People should be equally allowed to do stupid things and pay the price for them. Not make the price less for one side because they do the stupid thing more often in one region.

• Like 1