P8Z77-V pro won't apply overclock

stueck9356

Hey there. This thing is kicking my ass. I recently (yesterday) upgraded to a P8Z77-V pro motherboard, and an i7 3770K. I have looked at how-to's on youtube, googled, and updated the bios to the most recent version (1708)

My problem is, when I set my OC up...

XMP enabled

42 multiplier

cpu voltage, manual, 1.225v

cpu current 140%

LLC extreme

It will not stick. I can load into windows, and quickly load CPU-Z, and notice a 4200mhz overclock. then, after about 7 seconds, it drops to 3500. I can load LinX and do a run, and it will peg itself at 3500mhz. No more. nada.

Realtemp displays the same thing, 3500mhz.

Prime95, doing in-place large FFTs, will not increase past 3500mhz either.

Does anybody know what might be bugged?

When you update the BIOS, be sure to reset CMOS. Sometimes it helps.

Attached some pics to help (on a P8Z77-M Pro, but shouldn't be that much different).

Set somewhat similar settings, but don't directly copy the VCore. I have a 3570K that I'm overclocking to 4.6GHz, and watercooled.

121129205524.png

121129205537.png

121129205543.png

121129205552.png

121129205557.png

121129205606.png

I used your OC as a guide, here is my setup..

20274660.png

20236884.png

53104764.png

53414292.png

25242861.png

I uploaded a youtube video of booting up. It's shoddy - it was taken with my phone.. You can ignore the sound of me just fumbling it about :P

update..

changed from XMP to manual, like coke said. Still not working.

I also used the "USB BIOS FLASHBACK" button, since that is the only way to downgrade your bios. Went to v1206, since that was what a guy was using in a video I saw, and he had 4.7ghz with the same mobo/cpu. Still same problem..

Edited by Snugg

Yeah. Just did that again, after going all the way back to the first bios, 0801. I moved the jumper to pins 2 and 3 for a few minutes. After resetting CMOS, I let the computer load into windows with complete defaults and settle in. Then I proceded to restart and apply the overclock. Same issue.

On a side note.. changing multiplier, ram timings, voltages, disabling hyperthreading, etc.. shouldn't the computer shut down completely and then power back on in order to apply the changes? Or do the new motherboards change all of that without fully shutting off? I will hit "save and reset" in the bios, and the monitor goes idle, the fans spin up, then die down and the computer loads. Never does it fully shut off.

Edited by Snugg

Yeah. Just did that again, after going all the way back to the first bios, 0801. I moved the jumper to pins 2 and 3 for a few minutes. After resetting CMOS, I let the computer load into windows with complete defaults and settle in. Then I proceded to restart and apply the overclock. Same issue.

On a side note.. changing multiplier, ram timings, voltages, disabling hyperthreading, etc.. shouldn't the computer shut down completely and then power back on in order to apply the changes? Or do the new motherboards change all of that without fully shutting off? I will hit "save and reset" in the bios, and the monitor goes idle, the fans spin up, then die down and the computer loads. Never does it fully shut off.

It'll do a reboot.

Try disabling Speedstep.

disabled. same problem.

I am trying different things. I installed Intel XTU, and oddly most of the options are greyed out.. This is after resetting BIOS to defaults.

capture2no.png

Edited by Snugg

Sorry for double posting, but I decided to play around while I think about this problem. So.. I did this..

Unplugged every fan in my computer. Both CPU fans (NF-P12), my exhaust fan (NF-P12) and all three of my bottom intake fans (180mm, come with the silverstone FT-02)

Side panel off. Basically only fans on are the three on my GPU (accelero xtreme) and my PSU (which intake and exhaust are both from outside of the case)

Ran LinX, max problem sizes. and Prime95, 8 threads (HT is on)

Aparently, I can manage to adjust my clock speed, so I ran that up to 103MHz. Putting me at 3.6Ghz.

This is after about 20 mintes of just heat soaking the system.. remember, no fans!!

Imageshack Screenshot

Edited by Snugg

i don't have one of those yet but don't you need to disable the c1e and intel speed step, along with anything else that will scale down performance ? those power saving and boosting schemes have long interfered with stable overclocking...

Comments...?

i don't have one of those yet but don't you need to disable the c1e and intel speed step, along with anything else that will scale down performance ? those power saving and boosting schemes have long interfered with stable overclocking...

Comments...?

I thought so too. That is why I disabled HT as well. But the past few tries, I have disabled every single power saving or scaling down method that is available.

May be its time to replace BIOS battery? :dunno:

I can see no other reason here.

I jumped the CCMOS, and installed the battery from my last mobo since I know it works. Same problem.

I think I will leave the jumper on the 2-3 pins while I am at work, and try again when I get home. If that doesn't work I'll reseat the CPU and if all else fails it's still under warranty.