AMD FX Breaks World Record

bp9801

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Especially if they keep a price-to-performance ratio better than Intel's.

If they do, I will go with AMD, but right now Intel is far ahead in both aspects, When there new chip sets come out the SBs chips will be cheap. If AMD can't beat SB with BD then it doesn't look good to me.

You know this is cool and all but at the end of the day it is meaningless. Yeah is is neat they can get over 8 Ghz but lets get real the machine cannot be actually used and the record is pure epeen in nature. It is even more meaningless because right now the FX chip they used does not exist. What I mean is no one can get it. Oh sure it "will" exist but until it does it is just paper. I wish they would put as much effort into getting this chip out the door as they have into hyping it.

Well they disabled what, 6 of 8 cores? I wonder if they even tried this on the 990x or the 980x. Probably not because it is kinda pointless. Cool, yes.

It was done on the Crosshair 5 is a 990 board :popcorn:

Ed, CPUz screenshots are just what they are, A picture without the meat to back it up. Its just like running any CPU for a Max screen shot, then there is benchmark stability at a much reduced speed with 3D stability even further down the chain and then finally a fully stable working system. We saw 5GHz on a cheap self contained liquid cooler so the reality is how does it perform clock for clock in single threaded benchmarks. I wanna know!

I wish they would put as much effort into getting this chip out the door as they have into hyping it.

I'm fairly certain the marketing team spends ZERO time trying to get it out the door just like the engineering team spends ZERO time hyping it up. I wouldn't assume that they've been doing anything except all they can to get these chips shipped.

-230.0 (load) -235.0 (idle) 22.0 (ambient) to my mind these temps are beyond insane I know my physics and I know why they are this but think about it −273.15 C is absolute zero (vacuum of space cold) atoms slow down. What insulation did they have going? I can see that there was a pan to protect the motherboard when the stuff was piped in but at the base of that pot, I am amazed anything was still working.

With liquid Helium it has a boiling temp of 4.2K (-268.95) tops, that's Helium-4, Helium-3 boils at 3.2K or -269.95C. So they are playing with stuff that is virtually dead still atoms. Liquid nitrogen boils at -196C and is somehow not cold enough.... My mind is boggled.

I'm fairly certain the marketing team spends ZERO time trying to get it out the door just like the engineering team spends ZERO time hyping it up. I wouldn't assume that they've been doing anything except all they can to get these chips shipped.

Waco I know but it seems like, and has for years, that the AMD marketting department does not know what the rest of the company is doing. I mean there was all thus uber hype for comicon and even a contest to give away an FX, they do a show off of overclocking for FX and still no FX.

You would think if the launch is Next Tuesday that there would have been samples passed out to several of the larger Hardware sites, including OCC, for some prelaunch bench testing. Isnt that that way its usually done?