Cpu Intake Vent Guide

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one in the guide is for an old Barton 2500+ and Volcano 11 combo. Before the vent, it was getting about 42-43 load with the fan on low. Now it's more like 39-40. When I did the 4" vent for my Winchester 3200+ and XP-120, it went from 37-38 to 33-34.

Filters would be a cool addition, but since I've moved and don't have hard wood floors anymore, dust hasn't been that big of a problem. I like to avoid them when I can, and so far they haven't really been necessary.

Nice, a significant increase in cooling capacity was gained.

I would have to agree on the topic of filters. They are a nice addition but they become a maintenance issue once they get clogged. :(

Nice, a significant increase in cooling capacity was gained.

I would have to agree on the topic of filters. They are a nice addition but they become a maintenance issue once they get clogged. :(

It only takes a few minutes to unscrew the fan, take the filter out, rinse it out with water, shake it dry, and put it back in and screw the fan in. Way easier than hauling the case down into the basement, hooking the air compressor up and blowing everything out. You'd be amazed at all the crap my intake fan filter grabs. Makes me wonder about what I breathe in.

yeah i found a dead bee in my case 2 weeks ago...that was weird

I lost the piece of metal that goes over the screws to hold the cards in...its not a big deal, it just lets more dust go in and more cool air out...but not that bad...

• 2 weeks later...

Nice guide Verran... creative adaption of the sub vent too, on a beige generic case (with poor airflow) I managed to get a 2100+ Palomino 10c cooler (@ load) by adding an 80mm intake directly opposite the HsF combo :D

* votes to make this guide a sticky * ;)

• 5 months later...

if someone is on a real tight budget like me they can getto cool it with a Armorall wipes plastic container it fits perfect in the 80mm side vent i have in my case just cut it down and secure it in place with some tape i got a 9c drop in my cpu idle and 5 load temps :thumbs-up:

This was such a cool idea i had too try it. i had problems with temp 60c at load,then took the side pannel off and watched my temp drop.. I had poor circulation in my case..

Well not any more.. I idle at 33c ..with load 48c incredible difference..I also added 2 80mm fans to my case,it's a little bit louder now but dont hear it with my headset on.:)

Very well done Verran.

post-22171-1183174154_thumb.jpgpost-22171-1183174180_thumb.jpgpost-22171-1183174210_thumb.jpgpost-22171-1183174227_thumb.jpgpost-22171-1183174250_thumb.jpgpost-22171-1183174269_thumb.jpg

LOL Well the container i used will soon be replaced with a subwoofer port (like the one verran used from crutchfield)

This was just a temporary fix. I also will be fitting my side pannel with plexiglass.

I realy liked how verran's looked and hope mine turns out as nice as his did..