AVG finds a trojan, but can't get rid of it.

Eery177

Alright, so AVG keeps telling me that it is finding a Trojan horse on my computer. I select the option to destroy it, and it says that it is gone. But it keeps coming back with the same trojan horse even though it says that it has been removed. I don't know what to do and if anyone could help me that would be great.

boot your PC in safe-mode and run AVG that might do it.

another option would be to find the file manually, boot into safemode / command prompt and delete it manually. 

The only other advise I could give would be to use other software to remove it. 

See if you can get a free trial of Endpoint Protection by Symantec.

Oh the other thing you could do as well is Google the Trojan it is finding and see if there are removal steps online.

Two recommendations for you if AVG won't kill it in safe mode;

VipreRescue

http://www.vipreantivirus.com/live/

and 

RogueKiller

http://www.adlice.com/softwares/roguekiller/

Both of these apps are indispensable in helping clean up nasty stuff.

Other useful tools;

TDSSKiller from Kaspersky and NPE from Norton.  But frankly my go to methods are Vipre and Rogue.  If none of the above solutions work, you could try Trinity Rescue Disk;

http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?content=TRINITY_RESCUE_KIT____CPR_FOR_YOUR_COMPUTER&front_id=12&lang=en&locale=en

I for some reason cannot get my computer into safe mode.

You need to be pressing F8 just as the Windows logo comes up NOT your mobo logo.

When I tried to download roguekiller, it just downloaded a bunch of useless crap.

YOu always need to be careful when downloading things, always read all the pertinent information on the screen before clicking on anything.

Even on otherwise safe websites sometimes the ads trick you into downloading even more virus', trojans, malware by having big flashing DOWNLOAD button and things that trick you like that.

You need to make sure you're clicking on that websites link to the right file, not anything that just says download.

I use MSE myself, but it does fail at some detection tests.  The last report I read said that MSE was somewhere in the neighborhood of 91% accurate / effective.  So it's possible that you do have something that you don't want, and MSE is just missing it.

Alternatively, maybe it's AVG that's throwing out a false positive.  I wouldn't be satisfied until I verified via other virus/trojan/malware utilities.

See if you can download a clean copy of VipreRescue.  After you download the file, scan it with AVG or MSE before you extract the contents to your USB drive.