Amd's Latest Socket Am3 Processors Benched

Nemo

AMD unveiled its Phenom II X4 940 processor at CES based on the AM2+ socket which included support for DDR2 memory. AMD is now bringing the newer and faster speeds of DDR3 memory to the AMD platform with the new AM3 processors . You can check out the review of the Phenom II 720 and 810 AM3 processors here - http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/ph...ii_720_810_am3/

Nice review....

I am also waiting to see what the difference will be with running a AM3 CPU in a AM3 board....running it backwards doesnt really show the effectiveness or true power of the CPU....

That will become my next build, AM3, I hope it does well.......i had a feelling that 810's multi will be locked.

I am sure they will have a Black Edition X4....they always do...

Good review,

but stupid to but a this as a con:

No DDR3 motherboard support currently available

Hell it's not their fault.

And by the way, GIGABYTE release AM3 boards already on Thursday/Friday...

Good review,

but stupid to but a this as a con:

And by the way, GIGABYTE release AM3 boards already on Thursday/Friday...

Well, technically, it is a con of the platform that the technology as of now does not exist yet to take full advantage of the chip's potential. Thought it may not be AMD's fault per se, it is still a downside to the platform as a whole.

It doesn't have anything to do with 'fault' though. It's useful information for a potential shopper, that's all. If the product can't currently be used to its full potential, then I'd consider that a con, regardless of whose fault it is.

Personally, I think it's a cool idea. It's a good way to make a smooth transition between DDR2 and DDR3 with a chip that does both.

Holy crap, I might have to change my mind about AMD, that X3 720, falls just short of beating out Intel's much more expensive chips, and actually beats out the X4 720 in some cases, can anyone tell me why?

Holy crap, I might have to change my mind about AMD, that X3 720, falls just short of beating out Intel's much more expensive chips, and actually beats out the X4 720 in some cases, can anyone tell me why?

:withstupid: Agreed! If I hadn't already had a 775 board laying around, my current secondary build would have been an AMD. I'd really like to take one of these P2's for a spin.