SWTOR: Official Game Thread

TheHostileGamer

Just won the collector's edition from IGN. But, I'll probably sell it.

The collectors edition is pretty darn sweat to be honest. You get a bunch of in game exclusives, and a sweet malgus statute.

I am kinda surprised you didn't pick this one up krazy. Your usually just like me and are picking up all the big releases lol...

Waiting for Guild Wars 2 instead. Not really a fan of SW. Haven't even seen any of the older movies.

You really need to play Knights of the Old republic, one of the best RPGs of all time imo....

Also for banning people who are using exploits, just because its there doesn't mean its intentional. WoW had some things like this when it was first released and some people got bans. If the company comes out and says that its an exploit then its an exploit. Using bugs to you benefit is exploiting...

Guild Wars 2 is light years (bwhahaha!) than any mmorpg out there and that includes SWTOR.

Cool give us info since I am presuming you have played it already to make such a statement.

Cool give us info since I am presuming you have played it already to make such a statement.

Does SWTOR have anti-griefer elements?

• No mob tagging
    In GW2 you don't have to fight over mobs with nearby players who won't party or are already in a full party while doing a quest/farming. Anyone who participates in killing a mob can earn the credit and loot roll.
  • No fighting over gathering nodes
    Each node is unique to each player and location.

Does SWTOR have mostly standard MMO quest? Go kill me 10 rats at level 1 and then at level 50 go kill me 20 mega rats.

• Dynamic Events
    If you've never experienced a dynamic event in a MMO and maybe you've played Skyrim. Perhaps you're just running along and you randomly see a giant attacking soldiers/villagers you can either choose to help them or not. That's basically the idea, but on a larger scale and both with consequences that effect the world and not just the played inside an instanced area (WoW's phased zones). You aren't running to NPCs with "!" on top of their heads asking you to go kill that Giant. You just happen to randomly stumble upon it.
  • Each dynamic event has a progression element.
    If you fail to repel raiders from a village, they will capture it and create a base there to launch further raids and etc. There are many different types of dynamic events and they are rotated.
  • Difficulty of dynamic events are dynamically scaled to the amount of participating players, rather than nearby players who may not even be participating.
    Something that Warhammer Online's Public Quest system was missing (at launch).
  • Rewarded with points rather than useless loot
    When you do these dynamic events you get rewarded based on how much you have participated. You can then trade in those points for gear you actually want. Most of the elements from GW2 is to take out that grind, that out that wasted time on doing menial tasks and it lets you actually play the game. I mean who wants to spend 10-15 minutes travelling in WoW from one area to another when you can just teleport like in Guild Wars 2.

How active is the combat system in SWTOR? Do you stand there and wish upon your blocking/dodge stats to proc you out of damage? Do you Psft! around the corner?

• Dodging button!?!?
    Instead of relying on some numerical stat, why don't you just dodge the spell/arrow/blow/aoe yourself. Of course you can't just constantly dodge as it will drain your ability meter. Allowing the player to dodge creates a more active/strategic combat system.
  • Cross profession combos
    It’s not very fun when games require you to have all the casters standing in this spot or all the melees to stand in this spot while fighting. Why not mix it up and allow players to use combo to take down their foe? An Elementist may drop a firewall in front of an enemy. A Ranger can shoot through it and give his arrow/bolt/bullet additional fire damage. There are a wide variety of these combos and some that aren’t even elemental based. Dragon Age even had a combo system, not so sure about SWTOR though.
  • No restricted group comps
    Anyone who has played any MMO knows the term LFG/LFM very well. It will be a thing of the pass for the most part. Group composition won’t be like they are in a standard MMO. You can go into a dungeon with 5 Engineers and still do well. It may be challenging, but you can play WITH PEOPLE YOU WANT TO without having to sacrifice for it because your group of players doesn’t have a certain role.
  • No dedicated healer/tank class
    It sounds strange at first, but the system actually works in GW2. Each player has a slot on the skill bar reserved for a healing spell (heal self/aoe/other/etc depends on the class/spell). You can even revive other players with any class without using any dedicated skill to revive or healing class. There are assortments of snares/stuns/buffs/debuffs/etc that any group can go into a dungeon kite mobs or even take turns tanking.
  • Skills dynamically change upon weapon swap
    You’re limited to one skill bar in GW2, so how can they add diversity? Well you simple swap your weapon and new skills appear. Classes are also not locked to their perceived functions. A Warrior can choose to his main weapon to be a rifle or a bow and do well on his own, but he may not be as good as a Ranger but if he enjoys playing a ranged Warrior why can’t he. This however absolutely would not work in other MMO, simply because most classes are forced upon their intended features.

The list of things that Guild Wars 2 does innovates to the MMO genre, while SWTOR plays it safe and only really brings that BioWare SP RPG story aspect. That isn’t enough to quench my thirsts as a MMO player. Trust me there are plenty more things that GW2 has to offer that I haven’t mentioned. So, why don’t you SWTOR players tell me what has your game done to innovate the MMO genre. No matter how many times I’ve asked this on this forum and many others, I never get an answer.

Edited by Krazyxazn

So, why don’t you SWTOR players tell me what has your game done to innovate the MMO genre. No matter how many times I’ve asked this on this forum and many others, I never get an answer.

It's Star Wars... Nuff said! thumbsup3.gif

popcorn.gif

Does SWTOR have anti-griefer elements?

• No mob tagging
    In GW2 you don't have to fight over mobs with nearby players who won't party or are already in a full party while doing a quest/farming. Anyone who participates in killing a mob can earn the credit and loot roll.
  • No fighting over gathering nodes
    Each node is unique to each player and location.

Does SWTOR have mostly standard MMO quest? Go kill me 10 rats at level 1 and then at level 50 go kill me 20 mega rats.

• Dynamic Events
    If you've never experienced a dynamic event in a MMO and maybe you've played Skyrim. Perhaps you're just running along and you randomly see a giant attacking soldiers/villagers you can either choose to help them or not. That's basically the idea, but on a larger scale and both with consequences that effect the world and not just the played inside an instanced area (WoW's phased zones). You aren't running to NPCs with "!" on top of their heads asking you to go kill that Giant. You just happen to randomly stumble upon it.
  • Each dynamic event has a progression element.
    If you fail to repel raiders from a village, they will capture it and create a base there to launch further raids and etc. There are many different types of dynamic events and they are rotated.
  • Difficulty of dynamic events are dynamically scaled to the amount of participating players, rather than nearby players who may not even be participating.
    Something that Warhammer Online's Public Quest system was missing (at launch).
  • Rewarded with points rather than useless loot
    When you do these dynamic events you get rewarded based on how much you have participated. You can then trade in those points for gear you actually want. Most of the elements from GW2 is to take out that grind, that out that wasted time on doing menial tasks and it lets you actually play the game. I mean who wants to spend 10-15 minutes travelling in WoW from one area to another when you can just teleport like in Guild Wars 2.

How active is the combat system in SWTOR? Do you stand there and wish upon your blocking/dodge stats to proc you out of damage? Do you Psft! around the corner?

• Dodging button!?!?
    Instead of relying on some numerical stat, why don't you just dodge the spell/arrow/blow/aoe yourself. Of course you can't just constantly dodge as it will drain your ability meter. Allowing the player to dodge creates a more active/strategic combat system.
  • Cross profession combos
    It’s not very fun when games require you to have all the casters standing in this spot or all the melees to stand in this spot while fighting. Why not mix it up and allow players to use combo to take down their foe? An Elementist may drop a firewall in front of an enemy. A Ranger can shoot through it and give his arrow/bolt/bullet additional fire damage. There are a wide variety of these combos and some that aren’t even elemental based. Dragon Age even had a combo system, not so sure about SWTOR though.
  • No restricted group comps
    Anyone who has played any MMO knows the term LFG/LFM very well. It will be a thing of the pass for the most part. Group composition won’t be like they are in a standard MMO. You can go into a dungeon with 5 Engineers and still do well. It may be challenging, but you can play WITH PEOPLE YOU WANT TO without having to sacrifice for it because your group of players doesn’t have a certain role.
  • No dedicated healer/tank class
    It sounds strange at first, but the system actually works in GW2. Each player has a slot on the skill bar reserved for a healing spell (heal self/aoe/other/etc depends on the class/spell). You can even revive other players with any class without using any dedicated skill to revive or healing class. There are assortments of snares/stuns/buffs/debuffs/etc that any group can go into a dungeon kite mobs or even take turns tanking.
  • Skills dynamically change upon weapon swap
    You’re limited to one skill bar in GW2, so how can they add diversity? Well you simple swap your weapon and new skills appear. Classes are also not locked to their perceived functions. A Warrior can choose to his main weapon to be a rifle or a bow and do well on his own, but he may not be as good as a Ranger but if he enjoys playing a ranged Warrior why can’t he. This however absolutely would not work in other MMO, simply because most classes are forced upon their intended features.

The list of things that Guild Wars 2 does innovates to the MMO genre, while SWTOR plays it safe and only really brings that BioWare SP RPG story aspect. That isn’t enough to quench my thirsts as a MMO player. Trust me there are plenty more things that GW2 has to offer that I haven’t mentioned. So, why don’t you SWTOR players tell me what has your game done to innovate the MMO genre. No matter how many times I’ve asked this on this forum and many others, I never get an answer.

And guild wars 2 will fail just like the first one did...

SWTOR flashpoints for example, are pretty innovative, scripted instances that draw you more into the place, instead of mindlessly grinding it like you would in a most mmo's...

PVP is amazingly fun, Huttball is pretty crazy with the abilities of all the classes.

Class comp is somewhat important, but it isn't as much as it is in other mmo's... The companion system really adds to your character if you ever need a healer, tank, etc... The one thing that is missing I will admit is a strong LFG system. The game would be so much better if there was an LFG system for heroics, and flashpoints...

Taking a healer and tank out kinda takes away from the MMO experiance, its boring if everyone is the same, different classes with different roles are a necessity

Your saying a lot about Guild Wars 2 about all these features, but to be honest not a whole lot of people care about guild wars, because the first one was so lacking in story or lore (that was my major gripe and many of my friends) People want to be drawn into storys, and into universes they care about...

SWTOR is a very ambitious game, and its still in its infancy. We have yet to see what comes,,,

Personally from what I have read it looks like GW2 is taking all the competitiveness out of an MMO, I don't want to play an MMO where I don't have to work for things...

SWTOR has been doing some automatically attainable quest by just going to an area, the problem with that it takes away from the story..

You say that GW2 is going to be super innovative, but the other side of that is that they take too many risks and nobody plays it... SWTOR is turning out to be hugely popular so...

Edited by greengiant912

And guild wars 2 will fail just like the first one did...

SWTOR flashpoints for example, are pretty innovative, scripted instances that draw you more into the place, instead of mindlessly grinding it like you would in a most mmo's...

PVP is amazingly fun, Huttball is pretty crazy with the abilities of all the classes.

Class comp is somewhat important, but it isn't as much as it is in other mmo's... The companion system really adds to your character if you ever need a healer, tank, etc... The one thing that is missing I will admit is a strong LFG system. The game would be so much better if there was an LFG system for heroics, and flashpoints...

Taking a healer and tank out kinda takes away from the MMO experiance, its boring if everyone is the same, different classes with different roles are a necessity

Your saying a lot about Guild Wars 2 about all these features, but to be honest not a whole lot of people care about guild wars, because the first one was so lacking in story or lore (that was my major gripe and many of my friends) People want to be drawn into storys, and into universes they care about...

SWTOR is a very ambitious game, and its still in its infancy. We have yet to see what comes,,,

Personally from what I have read it looks like GW2 is taking all the competitiveness out of an MMO, I don't want to play an MMO where I don't have to work for things...

SWTOR has been doing some automatically attainable quest by just going to an area, the problem with that it takes away from the story..

You say that GW2 is going to be super innovative, but the other side of that is that they take too many risks and nobody plays it... SWTOR is turning out to be hugely popular so...

I guess it would be on how you would describe failure. GW1 is ranked #36 on Xfire today with an average of 970 players online (from Xfire). Diablo 2 is #58 with 524 players online to put it into perspective. The one thing GW1 was missing was a lot of end-game content, which will be in GW2.

GW2's dungeons, personal story, and etc are narrated storylines for each character.

GW1 PvP was a big aspect of the game as it will be in GW2.

. Necro PvP video.

Party composition will matter in GW2 in PvP. In PvE, if you're good enough I don't see why you can't do dungeons with any group comp you have. Everyone isn't the same as all the classes are quite unique in their abilities. A Warrior may be able to use a Ranged Weapon, but he isn't going to have the Ranger's skill set.

You suggest try watching some GW2 demos, rather than trying to poke holes into things that don't have holes.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Party composition will matter in GW2 in PvP. In PvE, if you're good enough I don't see why you can't do dungeons with any group comp you have. Everyone isn't the same as all the classes are quite unique in their abilities. A Warrior may be able to use a Ranged Weapon, but he isn't going to have the Ranger's skill set.

You suggest try watching some GW2 demos, rather than trying to poke holes into things that don't have holes.

But thats just it, a warrior might have different abilities but the way you described it is that there are no distinct class roles in the game... Thus in the end each class can do all the roles... Why even have multiple classes then? The great thing about classes is that they fill different roles, some classes might be hybrids, or some classes might have advanced class lik SWTOR did.

I actually like that SWTOR makes you declare what role your character is... It makes wanting to level another character so much more exciting...

I just don't see it dude... No healer, wheres the challenge?

There was another MMO that tried to change things, Age of Conan... Look how well that did... MMO's are about subject matter... I think it has a much larger appeal when an MMO has a familiar setting... People want to get immersed into the worlds they already know and love...

But thats just it, a warrior might have different abilities but the way you described it is that there are no distinct class roles in the game... Thus in the end each class can do all the roles... Why even have multiple classes then? The great thing about classes is that they fill different roles, some classes might be hybrids, or some classes might have advanced class lik SWTOR did.

I actually like that SWTOR makes you declare what role your character is... It makes wanting to level another character so much more exciting...

I just don't see it dude... No healer, wheres the challenge?

There was another MMO that tried to change things, Age of Conan... Look how well that did... MMO's are about subject matter... I think it has a much larger appeal when an MMO has a familiar setting... People want to get immersed into the worlds they already know and love...

Each class can only equip a certain amount of weapon types. In other games the Ranger/Hunter can use melee weapons as well as ranged. Just because a Ranger/Hunter decided to only use melee weapons, doesn't make him overlap the melee classes. A pure melee class will destroy a ranged class using melee weapons. A Elementalist can't be a Thief and a Thief can't be a Necromancer. But....each class may have some sort of melee weapon however that doesn't define them to be melee or caster. Their actual class is distinct.

Each story playthrough is different in GW2 thanks to its personal story.

How is there even a challenge with the healer, is what I would say. I've played purely healer in both WoW and Warhammer Online at end-game PvE/PvP. It's honestly not a hard class to play. Most of the time you outheal the damage done to you or teammates. The only time you're screwed is if you're bad at mana management or you don't know how to psft around the corner.

Just because everyone can heal doesn't necessarily make the game easier to play. They can adjust other aspect of the game to make it challenging.

Edited by Krazyxazn