HD 7850 or GTX 660

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Err I be waiting for Kaveri to upgrade :) I don't mind playing at reduced settings ;) Shameful nobody could give me exact figures, doubt old games would be bottlenecked much since I plan to play those :)

In short, good decision. :)

@d6bmg - Yeah, only months aways :D

@EuroFight - Ya, hopefully they get a 2013 release ;)

Found a 7850 with the bundle in Ireland from Komplett.ie... If the amazon guys say their cards don't come with the thing I'm buying it local for ease of RMA which I hope I won't need to use

Edited by DanTheGamer11

kaveri from AMD? 

that is an APU, it is not going to be able to Hybrid crossfire with a 7850+

and if you plan to go the APU route, you dont need that nice a graphic card anyway.

I dont understand what you are thinking other than you want to own the newest products.

I thought you were on a budget?

you should be considering a phenom II (cheap) (used), FX or i5

if you plan to go the APU route kaveri is fine if you can wait, but you should be considering a graphic card to compliment it.

kaveri from AMD? 

and if you plan to go the APU route, you dont need that nice a graphic card anyway.

if you plan to go the APU route kaveri is fine if you can wait, but you should be considering a graphic card to compliment it.

Snipped that quote a bit. Kaveri will be the first APU that it makes sense buying a high end GPU with. Right now if you put a GPU bigger than a 6670 on the APU turns off the onboard. With Kaveri the onboard will stay active and become a parallel co-processor. This means it can be used for GPU coded ac celebration outside of just graphics. This is a very cool feature and one that makes Kaveri a powerful choice going forward. In fact if the parallel program we hope to see on the consoles makes it way to the PC, we could see Kaveri become more powerful than the FX chips and even run with the I5 and i7. Thing about it, making use of OpenCL or DirectCompute without taking ANY cycles from your GPU.

@ComputerEd, what's so different about that over buying a $30 discrete card and using that. It's not even like the cards will support PhysX so their impact on gaming will be minimal.

Hmm do you guys think a GTX 660 would be a better buy? Comes with Metro Last Light and SC Blacklist, can get either Gigabyte version or MSI Black Knight one

I bought a 660 about 4 months ago with the free metro last light and am very happy with it. At 1920 res it plays last light at very high settings great. :no:

Hmm do you guys think a GTX 660 would be a better buy? Comes with Metro Last Light and SC Blacklist, can get either Gigabyte version or MSI Black Knight one

I bought a 660 about 4 months ago with the free metro last light and am very happy with it. At 1920 res it plays last light at very high settings great. :no:

How would it compare to a HD 7850? I know the card isn't bad though! Would it overclock like a 7850 can?

Not going for a 7870 anymore, seems like it's a bit flawed and I can crossfire the 7850 when I get a new mobo if need be, or GTX 660