Smartphone WiFi

sack_patrol

creating a backup and flashing the original firmware are two different things

I suggest you ask around on the mod phone forums, usually there is a section for your specific model

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you checked Android Central?

I just did but it doesn't seem like the model I have is in their database.

I registered in the xda forums as it seems like the go-to place for this sort of questions so hopefully I'll be able to figure this out with their help.

I didn't bother backing up because I save contacts to my sim and all my photos are in my dropbox account and everything else be damned.

As long as you have a ftf file of your stock rom your good to go, it is what will help you out if you brick your phone.

When you flash your phone unlock bootloader etc you will be required to install a recovery program like clockwork mod or in my case xrecovery. This is what will let you install your custom Rom from a zip stored on your sd card.

If you have issues like I did with baseband, flashing a new baseband won't affect your Rom.so anything you've done up until you notice anything will not be lost.

for me I lost the ability to send and receive messages but mobile internet and calls worked however new baseband and all works again.

Research each custom Rom available for your phone, look at features and see if any are missing anything often wifi and camera support in the early stages.

I think these threads are going to be your best bet. Link to rooting, dosent sound to hard just make sure you follow the directions, also here is a custom rom that should do everything you want and then some. if you need any help shoot me a pm im working on some stuff for my phone as I type this lol

thx gaiz.

i managed to flash my phone with a ROM that is basically 100% stock, except rooted. I might change it since it appears like there are better ROM out there. Just gotta find the right one. Right now I have a new program called super user which... as far as i can tell does absolutely nothing. I don't know what it's for.

As for the backup, as I've learned how Odin works and flashing (basically the same thing as GPU bios flashing which I'm quite familiar with), I think that I don't actually need a backup, just a stock ROM. For now I don't intend to install many apps or add any contacts (i memorize important phone numbers). So a clean stock ROM that I can flash if I brick the phone will be perfect. The problem however is that I haven't found one. I think one xda thread had it but the dl link is dead.

I'd like to not install clockwork if i don't need to since I read that many ppl have had issues and it causes bricks.

Finally, it seems like there isn't a way to install adobe flash player and have it work with Opera Mobile, so I'm thinking of getting Skyfire. Is that any good? Also what is a good app like RAM Manager. That seems useful but the good stuff is in the paid version. Also something for overclocking would be nice. I'll have a look at some custom roms though. Maybe there's one that has all of this.

Okay super user is definitely needed do not scrap it. It is what lets you make advanced changes and approves other programs access to root files etc.

Definitely look about for different roms.

I would suggest using dolphin browser imo it is the best android browser. So can you actually install flash player this time? Unofficial apk or otherwise?

Some good programs to also try.

Battery indicator (gives battery percentage, health, temp and voltage)

Antutu CPU master (allows you to.over and underclock as well as undervolt which is good also allows different power management settings which help.battery life and performance.)

Explorer or astro or any other file explorer. (it is something you will use very very handy)

Player Pro (try it out maybe buy it, imo it is the best android music player, well worth the money, cover art downloader is a good thing to grab too)

Studio Kuma (lets you block access to folders when media library searches are done, increases responsiveness)

Watchdog (do not get "battery optimizers" and "task killer apps" they are more harm than good. Watchdog monitors CPU use by programs and can alert you if a program is needlessly consuming resources so you can consider uninstalling it. Having your ram full up is fine android uses ram differently to windows and it manages it's ram quite well. Force closing can close apps that will open up again straight away meaning you did nothing but force the CPU to work harder wasting more battery than leaving things be.)

Ringdroid (lets you turn your songs into conveniently sized ringtones and notifications can even cut out parts from the middle of a song if the start is slow)

Androzip (can unzip files on you phone if need be)

Also look for a guide to optimizing the charge cycle of your phone, resetting max and min values to get the most out of your phone, I am still reoptimising mine after my last Rom update but I am already seeing 20-30% more battery life, mostly the optimising some the undervolting.

Okay super user is definitely needed do not scrap it. It is what lets you make advanced changes and approves other programs access to root files etc.

Definitely look about for different roms.

I would suggest using dolphin browser imo it is the best android browser. So can you actually install flash player this time? Unofficial apk or otherwise?

Some good programs to also try.

Battery indicator (gives battery percentage, health, temp and voltage)

Antutu CPU master (allows you to.over and underclock as well as undervolt which is good also allows different power management settings which help.battery life and performance.)

Explorer or astro o(it is something you will use very very handy)

Player Pro (try it out maybe buy it, imo it is the best android music player, well worth the money, cover art downloader is a good thing to grab too)

Studio Kuma (lets you block access to folders when media library searches are done, increases responsiveness)

Watchdog (do not get "battery optimizers" and "task killer apps" they are more harm than good. Watchdog monitors CPU use by programs and can alert you if a program is needlessly consuming resources so you can consider uninstalling it. Having your ram full up is fine android uses ram differently to windows and it manages it's ram quite well. Force closing can close apps that will open up again straight away meaning you did nothing but force the CPU to work harder wasting more battery than leaving things be.)

Ringdroid (lets you turn your songs into conveniently sized ringtones and notifications can even cut out parts from the middle of a song if the start is slow)

Androzip (can unzip files on you phone if need be)

Also look for a guide to optimizing the charge cycle of your phone, resetting max and min values to get the most out of your phone, I am still reoptimising mine after my last Rom update but I am already seeing 20-30% more battery life, mostly the optimising some the undervolting.

good stuff here. I'll have a look. As for the adobe flash, I suppose it can be installed but it seems pretty worthless practically. People are saying that it only works with stock browser and there are features missing like pause n stuff. The only suggestion I've seen is the Skyfire browser for flash videos. I'll check out the dolphin too.

I don't plan on using the phone as a media player or store any pictures apart from the wallpaper since I already have an mp3 player for that. I might use it for movies though since the screen is bigger. Other than that I'm looking to improve performace, battery life and ram efficiency. Get a decent browser and a flash player. Also I'd like to uninstall a bunch of apps. I don't know if that's possible with the current stock rooted rom or I need a new one. If there's a program that lets me uninstall whatever I want that would be nice. Also I might change the theme with something cooler but that's about it.

Any idea where I can get the stock 2.3.4 Gingerbread ROM? I'm in Canada so I think the US version will be different from mine cuz of the carrier recognition which might not work if I use US version.

There are ways but most of your apps will be determined by your Rom. It is possible to use something like flash tool (from memory) to remove programs that can't be uninstalled.

You can try things like go launcher if you want a different theme/feel to your phone.

For the most part for advanced control of your phone two apps I already mentioned.

Antutu cpu master

Watchdog

Are my recommendation on what to use and please do not buy into the whole thing of more free ram the better, it's an unfortunate misconceptions.

Xda will be your help and your instructions will be in every rom thread. Want me to take a look at available roms and weigh in on what I would pick?

There are ways but most of your apps will be determined by your Rom. It is possible to use something like flash tool (from memory) to remove programs that can't be uninstalled.

You can try things like go launcher if you want a different theme/feel to your phone.

For the most part for advanced control of your phone two apps I already mentioned.

Antutu cpu master

Watchdog

Are my recommendation on what to use and please do not buy into the whole thing of more free ram the better, it's an unfortunate misconceptions.

Xda will be your help and your instructions will be in every rom thread. Want me to take a look at available roms and weigh in on what I would pick?

Yea I'd like your opinion on some roms.

When I'm all settled with one I'll get the 2 apps u mentioned and whatever else I might need but yea I leanred that more free ram isn't necessarily better but I assume theres apps that make it more efficient. I could be wrong tho.

I also checked out the dolphin browser and it's pretty sweet. SUPPOSEDLY it opens flash since it asked me while I was configuring it if I wanted to enable it and I said yes, but later when I tried a flash movie it doesn't work.

It requires flash player to be installed have you tried using an unofficial apk yet?

Edit: shoulda hopped on my lappy sooner :lol:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=19623732&postcount=1

This apk is linked from the "Samsung Galaxy Gio gt-s5660 | Firmware Releases ,Custom Roms , Rooting" thread. I would say definately give it a try.

This thread here is all the basic stuff for unlocking rooting and installing clockwork mod.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=20397930#post20397930

I assume you haven't gotten clockwork mod yet?

From this thread also there is a list of some roms for the gio

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=16979810&postcount=548

I am going to take a look see.

Edited by Stonerboy779