Folding V7.2.9

ivangela

Hi all,

So I finally installed a 64bit Win7 OS and obviously had to reinstall folding stuff.

The older version I had running was DOS based (you know, the command window) and I had to do everything by hand, by that I mean setup my flags etc.

Anyway, as you may know this new version does it pretty much all automatically.

Not only did it set up a smp client but one for my meager GPU as well, which is great as my PPD has about doubled from 2500 to ~5K.

Now for the question. When I was running my old version, my CPU was @100% constantly and I never had a lag in using Windows.

In this new version, sometimes (mostly really) the computer lags at other tasks, my mouse takes forever to get to where I want it, which makes it difficult to control, my windows open after a delay, etc.

They only way to really use my computer is to pause my folding. This isn't the end of the world, as I am not on it all day, but it would be nice to not have to do anything special and still use the computer without a hitch & fold simultaneously.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:thx:  :foldon:

This has to do with the priority i think.There ought to be a flag for it somewhere.

I still use the DOS version and i set the core priority at lowest, so whenever i attempt to do anything on the computer it boots the fah program of or reduces its processes to enable me to use my computer normally. Now thats not to say its snappy but it is smooth and comfortable.

So i'd recommend searching through the settings/preferences to look for a core priority option.

This has to do with the priority i think.There ought to be a flag for it somewhere.

I still use the DOS version and i set the core priority at lowest, so whenever i attempt to do anything on the computer it boots the fah program of or reduces its processes to enable me to use my computer normally. Now thats not to say its snappy but it is smooth and comfortable.

So i'd recommend searching through the settings/preferences to look for a core priority option.

thanks, will try this

Ok so tried it and already set at lowest core priority.

Also set @100%, but couldn't find an option to throttle back when using computer like previous version :wallbash:

Edited by ivangela

Speed, and any other interested parties,

I went to the Folding forum and think I may have found out the problem.

It seems that although the SMP client is designed to give you access to your CPU power when needed, this is not the case for the GPU client.

The recommendation is to pause the GPU folding or remove it, in order for lag issues to resolve. I'll include the link below. Also, as an aside, to pause just one of the clients, right click on it and select pause. If you pause along the top tabs, it pauses all running clients

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=23162

:D