SSD or not SDD

RampageX0.5

my system specs are :

asrock asrock extreme 4 ,

3930k stock speeds ( thinking about over clocking ) asetek cooler not too good

20gig corsair vengense / g skill memory , ( mix and match )

1 tera hitachi sata iii drive ( for os ) 2 TERA seagate for storage

amd 6850 powercolor ( kinda heats )

well i use my system for 3d rendering ( 3ds , C4d , after effects )

wanted to know if i should get an SSD , and if SSD will inprove render times in anyway , not really inrested in startup times ,

my system specs are :

asrock asrock extreme 4 ,

3930k stock speeds ( thinking about over clocking ) asetek cooler not too good

20gig corsair vengense / g skill memory , ( mix and match )

1 tera hitachi sata iii drive ( for os ) 2 TERA seagate for storage

amd 6850 powercolor ( kinda heats )

well i use my system for 3d rendering ( 3ds , C4d , after effects )

wanted to know if i should get an SSD , and if SSD will inprove render times in anyway , not really inrested in startup times ,

It sounds like what would really improve your rendering times would be to overclock your CPU, and to squeeze more ram and make sure it is all uniform. I would get a XSPC water cooling kit for 120 and just try to OC your PC as much as possible. I would also take out any ram that is mixed and matched if you do decide to OC though because it have have some negative impact on achieving your max OC.

It sounds like what would really improve your rendering times would be to overclock your CPU, and to squeeze more ram and make sure it is all uniform. I would get a XSPC water cooling kit for 120 and just try to OC your PC as much as possible. I would also take out any ram that is mixed and matched if you do decide to OC though because it have have some negative impact on achieving your max OC.

guess will have to redce ram to 16 gig for all to match , need a new case for the water cooling kit ( commander msi ) not really suited for that,

so i guess ssd wont improve render times ,...... any tuts on how to over clock on the asrock extreme 4 ,? and wich temps are ok after overclocking 3930k

guess will have to redce ram to 16 gig for all to match , need a new case for the water cooling kit ( commander msi ) not really suited for that,

so i guess ssd wont improve render times ,...... any tuts on how to over clock on the asrock extreme 4 ,? and wich temps are ok after overclocking 3930k

I would just get the H100 and some noctua fans and call it done in that case.

a ssd will not improve render time because your CPU is doing the work BUT if you use the ssd as a temp drive like I do it speeds things way up.

You have the same CPU as me and enough ram to do some damage with, I suggest you get a temp drive and set all your programs to use it . Also I tend to put my projects I'm currently working with on the ssd temp to speed things along also.

Opening a 25million poly rhino took a few minutes on a 7200rpm drive and about 20seconds on the ssd. Mind you it was a 1gb file.

For overclocking I am kinda against it because things become unstable if you go to high and you are doing video and 3d work. Going to 4.5ghz your cinebench score will jump from 11pts to 14pts which in the real world translates into maybe 1/8 faster render but a lot higher chance of the programs crashing mid render. Thats just my thoughts because you can get 100% stable oc but it takes a while to get it just right

Edited by hornybluecow

a ssd will not improve render time because your CPU is doing the work BUT if you use the ssd as a temp drive like I do it speeds things way up.

You have the same CPU as me and enough ram to do some damage with, I suggest you get a temp drive and set all your programs to use it . Also I tend to put my projects I'm currently working with on the ssd temp to speed things along also.

Opening a 25million poly rhino took a few minutes on a 7200rpm drive and about 20seconds on the ssd. Mind you it was a 1gb file.

For overclocking I am kinda against it because things become unstable if you go to high and you are doing video and 3d work. Going to 4.5ghz your cinebench score will jump from 11pts to 14pts which in the real world translates into maybe 1/8 faster render but a lot higher chance of the programs crashing mid render. Thats just my thoughts because you can get 100% stable oc but it takes a while to get it just right

guess i wont overclock , well (Opening a 25million poly rhino took a few minutes on a 7200rpm drive and about 20seconds on the ssd. Mind you it was a 1gb file.) i think that is good enough for me to get an ssd , so one 240 gig for $180 on tigerdirect.com , the 3930k was brought to its knees this evening but e-on vue , well not totally but it was really having a hard time rendering , adn temps where hitting the hi 60's ,

any ssd sugestions ..... will be appeciated

If there is that much of a performance Hike then why not. WORTH IT

Just make sure you have a terabyte drive or three in a raid to keep your data around and safe.

If there is that much of a performance Hike then why not. WORTH IT

how is 1/8th boost that much? anyways if i had to choose between a H100 or a 120gb SSD (both $100), The SSD would win because it's much more beneficial to have a temp drive, let alone a very fast one. On the other hand you could get 2 older 7200s and raid them + get some better cooling for a light boost. I forget these 3930k are unlocked and so far what i've read it doesn't take really any more voltage to hit 4.5ghz. You just have to play around with it for a while.

Heres the 25mill Rhino (275mb rar) i was talking about. It unrars to 1GB so make sure you have space.

rhino.jpg

Edited by hornybluecow

how is 1/8th boost that much? anyways if i had to choose between a H100 or a 120gb SSD (both $100), The SSD would win because it's much more beneficial to have a temp drive, let alone a very fast one. On the other hand you could get 2 older 7200s and raid them + get some better cooling for a light boost. I forget these 3930k are unlocked and so far what i've read it doesn't take really any more voltage to hit 4.5ghz. You just have to play around with it for a while.

Heres the 25mill Rhino (275mb rar) i was talking about. It unrars to 1GB so make sure you have space.

rhino.jpg

really nice

will get proper cooling an ssd , 256gb for $200, what do ya'll think