Which type of Flat/Satin Black Paint for a Computer Desk?

Smerc

Hey all. I am wanting to build a computer desk, but wasn't sure what paint would best produce a good Flat or Satin Black finish.

Was curious if anyone has ever painted their desk in either satin or flat black.

The wood I would be using is just regular birch plywood.

I was tied between using either of the two below, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

1. Minwax PolyShades - Classic Black Satin Stain and Polyurethane ( http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202061451/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053 )

2. Rust-Oleum - Painter's Touch Flat Black General Purpose Paint ( http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-100121945/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053 )

The two above state that no primer is required. I'm ignorantly stupidly braindead when it comes to painting. So I'm not sure if using a primer helps much on wood as long as it sticks.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I would use flat if you want it easier to keep clean. Satin for amazing looks or do what I would do and make an inlay with black vinyl that's a faux leather. It's cheap easy to use and glued down to a thin piece of mdf and inlayed into a table it makes an excellent surface to work on.

What kind of wood do you have? And how much have you sanded it back?

,edit: missed it at first, just ply well a primer would be best after a good sand down. Otherwise just lots of coats of paint.

Edited by Stonerboy779

I would use flat if you want it easier to keep clean. Satin for amazing looks or do what I would do and make an inlay with black vinyl that's a faux leather. It's cheap easy to use and glued down to a thin piece of mdf and inlayed into a table it makes an excellent surface to work on.

What kind of wood do you have? And how much have you sanded it back?

,edit: missed it at first, just ply well a primer would be best after a good sand down. Otherwise just lots of coats of paint.

I don't have any wood yet, but I plan on getting birch plywood.

This is the type of finish I was looking for:

30rwdax.jpg

Satin is what you want. Bare in mind the edge of ply looks sh¡t you may want to consider some edging for it.

I would recommend t-mould you will however need a router and the appropriate bit to cut the channel for the t-mould.

i'm with Stoner for the satin finish and T-mould/edging.

anyways, i've seen these furniture makers made it with the Duco paint. such a tedious/long process of painting but the best approach for furniture imo.

since you're making the desk from scratch, i highly recommend the Duco if you could find/pay someone else who can do it for you since you had told you're lost with paints.

but you can achieve that finish (not close enough tho) with a nice paint roller instead of the paint brush. the latter leaves you those obvious streaks with your finish.

the minwax you chose will give a nice durable finish and you can buy the birch edgeing for the rough cuts at any home depot, it is self adhesive , you put it on before you paint and it will have the same finish as the flat surfaces. I use it on cabinets and dose a very nice job.:biggrin:

Rhino liner makes a great coating if you want your desk to last FOREVER. :lol:

that would be one hell of a desk then :thumbsup:

btw, i'll share some pics what i did with my desk.

i found this thrift shop where i bought it second hand that cheap.

before:

before.jpg

i had second thoughts of re-painting it cause i might be screwed dealing with it's formica finish.

decided to clad it with carbon fiber vinyl sticker instead;

closeup.jpg

desk.jpg

CIMG3544.jpg

i like how it looks somehow :happy:

Edited by sword_fish
  • Like 1