not sure if correct space, but erhm.... why do people fold? xD

WarWeeny

In the past I did it just to see how productive a system I could build and be up towards the top folders in PPD. Now it is the hope that one day the research could help find a cure for the ills that plague us. Plus I now have a vested interest in folding after my wife had cancer so its a way for me to contribute to a cause with the hope that someone else wont have to go through that. The money spent on parts and electricity are irrelevant at this point to me. If I need to go full bore when gaming or using photoshop I just turn it off for that time period. Other than that its 24/7 365 on mine and my wifes primary rigs.

Hmm I'm doubtful of that. Hope it actually does help and not just waste electricity.

What are you doubtful of?

Basic biology is that form equals function. If the way a protein folds can be determined than the function can be more easily determined also.

I'm not doubtful of biology, I have no idea where you got that idea from. I'm doubtful that folding does much, I'm sure labs have more advanced simulation and models that do a better job. Maybe an article would help to convince me.

The thing is the distributed computing is hundreds of times more efficient for the uni than any advanced lab/computers they could ever get.

Why have you asked me a question after I was...'convinced' ;)

Also leaves room for more errors, right? So do thousands of computers compute the same thing?