Is it possible to not format the micro SD to open it?

Pteroduck

Recently, i had a micro SD card go poopy on me, I plugged it in to get the files to transfer over to my HDD but when i plugged it in it says format to use
Is there anyway i can get around this?

Have you tired basic recovery programs?

Most probably wont recognize the card, but its worth a shot.

Also it may be worth researching if you can manually edit the file-system (or lack thereof) to be readable.

What filesystem was on it? If it was FAT or FAT32 you might be screwed if the filesystem metadata is gone (though GetDataBack is *okay* at recovering stuff). If it was NTFS you might be able to recover it through the backup metadata halfway into the drive but you'll need software that can read it (again, GetDataBack is pretty good at it).

Reading this again it sounds like an ad. :lol: I've used GDB in the past and it has totally saved my ass more than once. It's a pain in the ass to use but it works.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if this is still an issue, but since this thread was bumped anyway, figured I'd offer my opinion.

Try booting up from a different device (ie bootable CD, USB, etc.); For me, that would usually be some flavor of Linux.  Mount the card and HDD, then transfer the files over.

Never tried this on a micro SD card, but it worked for transferring data from my Mac's SSD to my PC after I fried my Mac.  Also use this method when I have different versions of files and don't want to sort through each one to see which is the newest.