PowerColor 4870x2 in CF

Braegnok

I'm upgrading my folding pc, from two Asus 7770 2GB cards to  PowerColor 4870X2 cards CrossFired.

Will F@H control panel configure 4 GPU's and fold on 4 GPU WU's or 2 GPU WU's. Thanks in advance

Edited by Braegnok

You'll have a hell of a time getting it running unless they've drastically improved the setup process. Even getting one 4870X2 to work properly was a pain in the ass a few years ago. :lol:

Didnt the 4870 match the 5770 in performance?

And the 7770 >> 5770

So i would say that you should stick with your dual 7770s

Less messing around with drivers/getting all 4 gpus running, as well as similar if not more performance

Not to mention:

- The extra power required (160W for the HD7770s and 700W for the HD4870x2s)

- The lack of DX11 support with the HD4870x2s

- The extra heat produced by 4 GPU's

- The CrossFire scaling

In other words, I'd stick with the HD7770s

Well crossfire won't be enabled for folding anyway. I'd stick with the 7770s just because of the heat and hassle though.

Plus doesn't the newer architecture (assuming the 7770s aren't rehashed from a previous series) offer far better folding performance??

The 4870x2s were great in their day but you'd be downgrading in this case (in most performance situations and definitely user experience)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I could not pass up on $150.00 for the pair, with 7870's costing $200.00 each, It seemed like a good idea. I know the power consumption is 752W for system and two cards,.. plus temps will go up as well as fan noise. I guess I'll need to set them up and see what happens, if 4 GPU's show up and configure correctly,  I'll be surprised!

I should have cards about Tuesday next week, I will post back with results.  

Edited by Braegnok

You'll have a hell of a time getting it running unless they've drastically improved the setup process. Even getting one 4870X2 to work properly was a pain in the ass a few years ago. :lol:

I found some recent beta drivers for the 4870x2 card dated 2008, :lol:

Would you advise to have a fire extinguisher handy. 

You can use the newest Catalyst drivers on it with no problems. :)

You can use the newest Catalyst drivers on it with no problems. :)

Yes the AMD Ver. 12.6 or 12.11 Beta will work, I'm going with latest 4000 legacy drivers first with the old WDDM 1.1 support should be fine.