OCC Review: Swiftech MCW6500-T TEC (Peltier) Assisted Water Block

Nemo

I explained exactly why I recommended it in the conclusion:

Swiftech clearly show that their is a point where water is better than TEC+water (if you read the review you'd see this explained in detail with the cooling graph)

The block produces sub-ambient cooling and better temps than air or water for low to medium TDP processors (current and newer processors are following a trend of lower power consumption and therefore lower heat output)

I broke my own previous records with the 3500+

I will use this myself on my next upgrade when I get a processor with a lower TDP

You could always send it to me, or drop it off at mine... I've got the hang of it now, so it's really easy :)

Jack's likin his new card hehe

Well I'm taking it with me when I go back home for a few days next Wednesday, but if my soldering practise before hand doesn't go well, then I may still end up sending it to you. :lol:

It would feel good if I could do it myself though.

Edited by jammin

Yeah, the point is, Swiftech don't CLAIM that the TEC-block will cool EVERY processor in EVERY configuration... and they show that it will NOT cool better for high TDP processors at high voltage EXACTLY like my Opteron!!!!

So I can't mark something down for something it does not claim to do, and specifically points out that it cannot do...

It would be like me saying every cpu air heatsink ever made is a piece of crap because it can't cool my Opteron 170 at high voltage... no CPU air heatsink exists to cool my CPU sufficiently

I read it, I don't know how I missed the graph. So, basically the pelt helps with CPUs that have a lower TDP, right? Jacob Freeman, a Product Manager at EVGA, built his own pelt assisted water block. He has his C2D overclocked like a beast and has the best temps I've seen. I guess I expected to see similar results. I am not sure how powerful his pelt is, though.

I read it, I don't know how I missed the graph. So, basically the pelt helps with CPUs that have a lower TDP, right? Jacob Freeman, a Product Manager at EVGA, built his own pelt assisted water block. He has his C2D overclocked like a beast and has the best temps I've seen. I guess I expected to see similar results. I am not sure how powerful his pelt is, though.

Well I don't think anyone can really speak for the comparison between this product and whatever this Freeman guy has, since none of us know what it is. This is a fairly bolt-in kit when compared to other pelt systems. Certainly some performance is sacrificed for usability. But I think that nrg's results on the 3500+ were nothing to shake a stick at. I mean his old record of 2.92 was very impressive to begin with, and he put a sizable dent in it with this cooler.

When you figure how well this product did on the 3500+, and then see how close the TDP is between that chip and the current C2D lineup, it's more than fair to assume that this thing would clean house on a nice E6600 OC.

I'm curious how this would stack up on my 85W Opteron 148. It'd definitely be a "future-proof" upgrade with 45nm right around the corner.