Best Headphones?

Pcjds2

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! I think I'll go with the Ultrasone Pro 900s, because I'm definitely geared more towards Hip Hop, and other music with a lot of bass. Thank you for all your help! Last question, what would you say a good price is for the Ultrasones on Amazon? I found a pair for a little under 300$, is that a somewhat good price?

Well they just went on sale due to a Lightning deal last week (still kicking myself that I didn't catch it - i used to check Amazon daily) so their supplies are a bit low so price kicked back up.   Headphones are constantly fluctuating in price ...sometimes hourly, sometimes it takes weeks.  I don't think you will see them much cheaper than $200 which is evidently what they sold for during the Lightning Deal but I think they will drop back down to $240-250ish.

You are pretty much spot on. The shures are going to be more neutral. The bass is more pronounced on the Ultrasones, BUT that is because it actually is designed to be bass heavy. In other words, the bass is 'boosted' which gives you unrealistic bass. 

This is where I start to really scratch my head about music preference. The VERY small problem I have with the ultrasones, is that I feel like the bass starts to intrude on the mids and the highs.

I disagree the bass on the Ultrasones does not bleed into the treble or the mids.  It stands on its own.   Its just good damn bass and there is a lot of it.  It is widely regarded as one of the best headphones for bass for a reason.  You would have to jump up to the discontinued Denon D2000s to get bass that hits about the same.   I seen many actually prefer the bass on the Ultrasones over the D2000.   Though the D2000 is a more well rounded headphone ...though it should be for the price it released at.  If the Ultrasones were muddying things up it wouldn't get that reputation for bassheads.

But the focus is on the bass, thats its niche.  It doesn't go out of its way to really flesh out vocals and give you amazing mids.  Now for a closed headphone the soundstage is still pretty good and the mids, while the weakest part of its sonic quality, really isn't that bad.  Some songs you will notice the weakness in the mids more of course but its still a good headphone for types of music.

I think the niche the Shures go for are the mids.   I wouldn't pick the Shures if I wanted bass.  I would pick the Shures if most of my music consisted of Jazz and Pop ...which I do listen to but rarely.   The Shures are another great quality headphone that can do anything, but the focus is on the mids and vocals.  No headphone can do it all so you pick the one(s) that focus on what you want most but can still handle the other stuff.

And I don't think you can force some arithmic equation to headphones.   You can look at the numbers and see if you find any oddballs but chances are high fidelity headphones can't be molded to some curve like the cheap ones can.  Its easier to generalize by brand because many brands do carry their sound signature through their product line.

Ok, then my question to that is will the bass on the Ultrasones make it so that I can't even tell what the words are in the music? This has happened to me before, where I can't here the vocals at all, and I can only here the bass and the background music. If this is the case with the Ultrasones than I definitely do not want to get them.

See my reply above as I think it addresses your concern and like Tjj said in his follow on post, he is really focusing on the small details and fleshing them out.   Either way you go you are going to land yourself a nice pair of headphones.   So far all the headphones mentioned in this thread are good quality headphones.   We are just trying to help narrow it down so you get what you want most.

I was just wondering how big the Ultrasones were. I have a pretty small head, and I just want to make sure I would still get the full experience. Just so that you can get an Idea of my head-size, Beyredynamics are too big for me, but beats, and other adjustable headphones usually fit fine. Will the Ultrasones be small enough for me? And thank you Vengeance for addressing my other question, I didn't see the other posts, until after I posted this one because the refresh didn't work.

Edited by Pcjds2

I was just wondering how big the Ultrasones were. I have a pretty small head, and I just want to make sure I would still get the full experience. Just so that you can get an Idea of my head-size, Beyredynamics are too big for me, but beats, and other adjustable headphones usually fit fine. Will the Ultrasones be small enough for me? And thank you Vengeance for addressing my other question, I didn't see the other posts, until after I posted this one because the refresh didn't work.

No problem what so ever.  I think they should be fine.   While I don't have a small head to give you comfort they will work perfect for you... I can say they aren't like the Beyers.  The Beyers are quite large and are by far the biggest headphone I have.  I will think you will find the Ultrasones about mid-size overall.   Personally I prefer headphones that go around my ears than sit on them because than it hurts my ears with that clamping force focused on 'em.

No problem what so ever.  I think they should be fine.   While I don't have a small head to give you comfort they will work perfect for you... I can say they aren't like the Beyers.  The Beyers are quite large and are by far the biggest headphone I have.  I will think you will find the Ultrasones about mid-size overall.   Personally I prefer headphones that go around my ears than sit on them because than it hurts my ears with that clamping force focused on 'em.

Thanks to all the people who helped! I think the decision is clear now.