Whats the best Non Windows OS other then Mac

DrDigitized2

Then you're doing it wrong :yucky:

It may just be my preference, but I use 2 HDDs for a dual boot (installing an OS with the second drive disconnected) configuration choosing which drive I'll use (and ultimately OS) during POST at the boot menu ;)

Worthy suggestion but not always practical for space limited (and cash strapped) individuals ;)

i actually do this technique. install Ubuntu or whatever on a primary boot with the windows Harddrive disconnected, and then after Ubuntu is installed and good to go, I would put plug back up the windows, and leave the windows as the secondary boot, and the next time you update ubuntu it will do the GRUB install on the harddrive with Ubuntu on it, without disrupting anything on the windows harddrive, and then each time you reboot, you can choose which OS you would like to choose from there.

I did this for about a solid year or so on a PC i built for my sister, and i ended up using Ubuntu FULL time, this was the last days of the Gnome 2 Ubuntu days when Ubuntu was at its PEAK... many Ubuntu users have switched to Lubuntu and other derivates now according to the distrubutionwatch.. but the regular Ubuntu is starting to get accepted.

LInux Mint, is basically a Ubuntu with the interface that looks simular to the Lubuntu and Windows.. Linux Mint and Lubuntu are my recommendations as those are both my primary choices for personal use. Lubuntu for Low end mashines, and Linux Mint as a replacement for Ubuntu on higher end mashines.

• 5 months later...

I liked Mandriva (preetttyyy) and Ubuntu when I tried them but I haven't tried them in a while (other than running Hiren's on my USB here and there).

If they had all productivity applications runing on it (don't care about games so much, but need REAL Office, OpenOffice seemed to be fine for 95% but not all of things I needed it for. Does Photoshop work for it?? I use Paint.Net for most everything anymore but it'd be good to have the option because I HATE Gimp), I'd consider dual booting on my laptop...maybe...I lost my flashdrive which had disposable files and hiren's (as well as a bootable win7 x64 installer) but when I get a newer one I'll probably get a USB 3.0 16GB+ drive so with the added speed and capacity (over my old 8GB) I may mess around more with Linux. Though school is really keeping me busy so fun side projects and gaming have all but stopped

Windows for all.

Linux for servers.

MAC to look like someone wealthy, fresh, cool, awesome who can afford apple computers ...erhm I will buy an iPod soon but because I love music and iPod is really great! :D

EHHHhhhhh..... Mint and ubuntu are actually pretty user friendly and as long as you aren't running any legacy components, it would be more stable than running windows. (by stable I mean less OS issues e.g. viruses, wierd dll files, registry errors, less microsoft interns who don't know how to code :lol: )

To be honest I am running ubuntu on my laptop and I would be running it on my desktop if it weren't for steam and origin.

Mac well.... I have my own opinions about that.

However at the moment, I have been really getting accustom to using linux and I got to say that I am starting to believe that it should be ubuntu or mint for ALL.