GTX 680 vs HD 7970 thread

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't! Trust me, I've tried. You've got two, don't you? You got to let me know how high yours gets.

That's a shame, most of the reviews show them overclocking much higher, don't they?

I'll definitely get some results up soon, hopefully the watercooling will get them higher than the stock fans.

Capi, I can't rem the thread you asked for a 3dMark 11 score with my CPU @ 5.0GHz. Figured this thread would be a better spot for it anyway :biggrin: Still working on dialing in my OC, but this is getting close I think.

P10630 - Core 1231 Mem 1750 Boost 1284

p106303dmark112600k5068.png

Updated OP with some preliminary benchmark comparisons. Looks like the HD 7970's are kicking some butt when overclocked to the fullest. We'll see how it does with other benchmarks, then with surround.

The GTX 580's are still looking pretty good, though.

Capi, I can't rem the thread you asked for a 3dMark 11 score with my CPU @ 5.0GHz. Figured this thread would be a better spot for it anyway :biggrin: Still working on dialing in my OC, but this is getting close I think.

P10630 - Core 1231 Mem 1750 Boost 1284

p106303dmark112600k5068.png

Thats only 200 points on graphics score higher than my single overclocked 7970 :huh: Glad Im waiting for GK110, the more I hear from 680 owners the happier I am I never bought one :lol:

Guest Black gold saw.

My gpu 'upgrade' path went like this.

Geforce 6150LE > GTX 295 SLI > Radeon HD 6870 CrossfireX > GTX 570 > Radeon HD 7950...

check out this article. They compare 7970s vs 680s all the way up to a quad and 4-way setup!

http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/2641/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-quad-sli-review-english-version

Sure looks like a 680 beats up a 7970 1 on 1, but it's not the same story when you start adding cards.

Nice article :cheers:

Outside of the games that just need to fix their stuff (BATMAN) it looks like nVidia has some driver updates to make. As you said, it is quite interesting to see the GTX 680 beat the 7970 (sometimes by a fair margin) in a single card setup and then somehow lose in a multi-card setup. That just really stinks of driver infancy.

I won't judge OC results until it is a 1-to-1 comparison (WC vs WC). Also could care less of 3D and Unigine ...get some gaming benches up! You have every card in the rainbow, Cap, and no damn games! WTH man! :rtfm:

i have to admit im a little disappointed with the lack of overclocking

but i am still happy with the purchase

i started out with two 6950 the to a pair of 560 ti's then a 7950 and now to a gtx 680

my power consumption is way down as is heat and with top performance

now in order to get the 7970 on par with the gtx 680 you have to oc the crap out of it

and not everyone is comfortable with that as for the gtx 680 i can leave at stock and it still keeps up with a fully oc'ed 7970

i have to admit im a little disappointed with the lack of overclocking

but i am still happy with the purchase

i started out with two 6950 the to a pair of 560 ti's then a 7950 and now to a gtx 680

my power consumption is way down as is heat and with top performance

now in order to get the 7970 on par with the gtx 680 you have to oc the crap out of it

and not everyone is comfortable with that as for the gtx 680 i can leave at stock and it still keeps up with a fully oc'ed 7970

For $30-90 less

:withstupid:

Not everyone has a WC system to push a 7970 to the absolute limits. Not to mention we still don't have results of a WC GTX 680 and the next driver update will most likely be huge as if i'm not mistaken it will be the first driver update since the GTX 680 launched. I think there was 1 the same day or a day later but I mean one where nVidia has had to time to make modifications based on public use. Outside of the benchmarks e-peen contest I really fail to see how the GTX 680 is a disappointment.

Thats only 200 points on graphics score higher than my single overclocked 7970 :huh: Glad Im waiting for GK110, the more I hear from 680 owners the happier I am I never bought one :lol:

:lol: $30-100 less and you're complaining that it's "barely faster". What happened to the "it's immature drivers, wait and see what it'll do!" that I kept hearing from you about your AMD cards? Nvidia doesn't get the same enthusiasm because you didn't choose to buy them? :P