Driver issues

acethebear

I recently used one of those automated driver updater programs (stupid, I know) to update all my drivers just because they haven't been changed since I first got my computer. After doing all this, my computer can no longer turn off using the option in windows 7. It just hangs on the shutting down screen. I have already tried repairing the registry. I have also uninstalled the program that updated the drivers. Neither of these have solved the problem. Is there anyway for me to unupdate the drivers to their original state? My mobo is asus p8p67 pro by the way.

I tried to do a clean boot using the instructions on the windows website and it didn't help the problem but now on the page where all the services used to be that it had me disable, everything is gone. I have it set back to normal boot and still nothing is there. I'm at my wit's end right now and I have been trying to solve this problem for the last four hours. I just wish I never would have installed that stupid updater, everything was working so well.

Can you do a system restore to before you did the massive driver update?

This is a good example of why I usually only install a single driver at a time - so if something goes wrong I can at least figure out why.

I have a restore from around Christmas time. My boot drive is a 60gb ssd that only has my operating system on it wth drivers and a select amount of games. Would it be detrimental if I used a restore from that long ago?

You won't lose any files - but it's possible you may lose applications you have installed since then. I don't use System Restore all that much - perhaps someone else can chime in?

Use System Restore:

Before you start System Restore, save any open files and close all programs. System Restore will restart your PC.

Navigate to the Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools program group.

Click on the System Restore program icon.

Click Next > on the Restore system files and settings window.

Choose the restore point that you want to use.

Follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point and restore your computer.

Note: Check the Show more restore points checkbox to see more than the most recent restore points.

looks like it didn't back up the entire hard drive, only some of it. What I'm confused about is where all the services under the service tab in msconfig have gone. All the basic windows services are there, but used to when I check the box that says "Hide all microsoft services" there were many. Now there is only norton. I can't find anything on google that explains what could have caused this. I did a registry clean in safe mode while those services were disabled. Is it possible that it deleted those services because they were off at the time? Norton won't open when I try. I think because the root service is gone.

Edit 1: Looks like the backup dosen't change the registry so my only option now it seems is to do a fresh install. Almost all of my games and files are on my 1tb storage drive. If I reinstall windows on the boot drive, will I still have all the games that were in the storage drive?

Edited by acethebear

I have also uninstalled the program that updated the drivers. Neither of these have solved the problem. Is there anyway for me to unupdate the drivers to their original state? My mobo is asus p8p67 pro by the way.

I have also uninstalled the program that updated the drivers. Neither of these have solved the problem. Is there anyway for me to unupdate the drivers to their original state? My mobo is asus p8p67 pro by the way.

Sorry to say it's probably not so much a drivers issue as what the registry cleaner removed from your registry. Those programs are bad for removeing important files and as most reg files are on the c ( boot drive ) you may have to reload all your programs . It's very important to back up the reg files before using any of those programs so if there is a screw up you can reload the old files.

Not sure if Deng was trying to bump the thread or what, but that was what I had said earlier in the thread. I ended up just reinstalling windows 7. Only a few programs I had to reinstall on account of most of them not having to mess with the registry to run. Thanks for your help everyone, it is much appreciated. Hopefully I learned my lesson and never touch automated driver installers again. XD