Nvidia GPU Technology Conference Coverage

Bosco

by Charlie Demerjian

'nuff said

Did you actually look at the pictures? The solder joints don't even come close to lining up...and the PCB certainly wasn't designed to be that short. Numerous components bump right to the edge and there are mounting holes cut nearly in half.

Fermi_power_cropped.jpg

Edited by Waco

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta love Nvidia, faking their cards so that it looks like they actually have something against the HD5870. Seriously Nvidia, are you led by a 12 year old? :lol:

I mean it WILL eventually come out, it's pretty ridiculous they faked it but WHEN this chip comes out it will decimate everything, as long as the price tag doesn't give it an extremely narrow customer base

Did you actually look at the pictures? The solder joints don't even come close to lining up...and the PCB certainly wasn't designed to be that short. Numerous components bump right to the edge and there are mounting holes cut nearly in half.

Of course I did and many of his point are valid and prove that NVIDIA showed dummy cards. However, believing everything that comes out of this guy's mouth is being a bit naive... especially when it's about NVIDIA.

Edited by Zertz

Of course I did and many of his point are valid and prove that NVIDIA showed dummy cards. However, believing everything that comes out of this guy's mouth is being a bit naive... especially when it's about NVIDIA.

Believing everything I read on the internet is not one of my hobbies. :P

I wonder if Nvidia will say anything about this? Any one checked the share price?

They already denied the claims ;)

"Note 1: Nvidia PR was asked to comment on the faked cards earlier this evening. Their reply was, "I'm glad you're asking us before you write. That statement is false. The product that we displayed was an actual Fermi board. The demo ran on Fermi silicon." We do not believe all of that statement."

Even if they did show fake hardware. it's not like if the whole chip is faked. It's just not ready yet.

Believing everything I read on the internet is not one of my hobbies. :P

If it's on the Internet, it gotta be true, no? :lol:

Edited by Zertz

Even if they did show fake hardware. it's not like if the whole chip is faked. It's just not ready yet.

Definitely not...but it does cast a shadow over their whole "release."

I was going to ignore this topic completely but I have to say to get this off my chest.

First of the author is biggest ATI fan boy that I have ever seen. If you look at his site all his banners are AMD/ATI. He loves to bash NVIDIA even when they are doing good. He has stated alot of things in the past that proved somewhat true but the false outweighs that. Examples:

Google to buy Valve

Nvidia is for sale

NVidia will stop making Chipsets

Numerous Performance predictions that are way off base

The list goes on and on and on

One thing I do find funny is that fact that he was not at the event and he is basing his thoughts and idea off pictures. :blink: However I caught wind of this article coming on Wed night so I knew it was going to be an ugly one. :rolleyes:

I did not attend the event but I sent ccokeman. I knew which NVIDIA bosses were going and I shot them an email about it. Here is the response:

"The Fermi demo that we showed was driven by a Fermi-based Tesla chip. The performance numbers that were displayed, which showed five-times the performance of the current generation Tesla chip, are proof of that."

"The Fermi board that was held up at the keynote and press conference was an engineering prototype."

I will not say it was who I talked too because it does not matter. I will get Frank to offer his thoughts on this subject once he wakes up from his long deserving sleep.

One thing I do find funny is that fact that he was not at the event and he is basing his thoughts and idea off pictures.

Bosco - I normally wouldn't say anything but the pictures posted of the "Fermi" card are anything but legit. The solder joints aren't even close to where they should be and the PCB is clearly cut at an odd place.

I don't want to believe that nVidia would fake a card but the pictures speak for themselves, regardless of what some guy on the internet says.

I don't think that was intended to be a working card. All companies have dummy cards we see them all the time and they don't look like the real thing for all we know they might have only had a couple working cards who knows. We see them at CES all the time so if they are stolen they are not stealing a real card. I emailed Frank to answer in this thread I am not sure how close he got to the actual test systems that were being used.

I don't think that was intended to be a working card. All companies have dummy cards we see them all the time and they don't look like the real thing for all we know they might have only had a couple working cards who knows. We see them at CES all the time so if they are stolen they are not stealing a real card. I emailed Frank to answer in this thread I am not sure how close he got to the actual test systems that were being used.

The only problem I have with the whole thing is that the nVidia rep said that the card was functional...and there's no way the card they showed would work (unless it drew less than 75 watts).

I don't take kindly to being lied to...and nVidia certainly lost a lot of my trust with this stunt. As much as I hope their GPU is everything they say it is (since I work in the parallel computing field) at the same I feel that they should fail miserably simply because they've lied to consumers.