Worlds most complicated CD player?

Tjj226_Angel

So a few months ago my moms CD player sort of......died.

After a while of searching for a good CD player that wasn't a boom box or one that didn't have apple crap all over it I decided to build one. 

Right now I have a asus socket 775 mobo with a pentium chip and some DDR3 1600mhz ram that I had lying around. 

I am missing a few things. A case, a USB disk drive, smallllll screen, and some type of hard drive (preferably a CHEAP SSD). If you guys also know of a good dac and amp that I can use for speakers, that would be cool too. 

Any type of info you guys have please do share. I am trying to make this as cheap as possible (since all it will be doing is playing audio CDs) but still have it be good quality and stable. The last thing I want is for my mom to ask how to trouble shoot a CD player........

And before you guys go and recommend me CD players, this build will also serve as an imminent replacement for the family computer which is pretty much on it's last leg. 

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

So a few months ago my moms CD player sort of......died.

After a while of searching for a good CD player that wasn't a boom box or one that didn't have apple crap all over it I decided to build one. 

Right now I have a asus socket 775 mobo with a pentium chip and some DDR3 1600mhz ram that I had lying around. 

I am missing a few things. A case, a USB disk drive, smallllll screen, and some type of hard drive (preferably a CHEAP SSD). If you guys also know of a good dac and amp that I can use for speakers, that would be cool too. 

Any type of info you guys have please do share. I am trying to make this as cheap as possible (since all it will be doing is playing audio CDs) but still have it be good quality and stable. The last thing I want is for my mom to ask how to trouble shoot a CD player........

And before you guys go and recommend me CD players, this build will also serve as an imminent replacement for the family computer which is pretty much on it's last leg. 

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

have you thot about an e350 or any 1155 mini itx tjj ?,...you can  throw together some pretty good bleeding edge stuff for not much money these days, in mini itx...

i have one of these here that i had used for a truck travel computer, and even played games on it...i'm just saying there are alot of possibilities to do more these days in mini itx

Before you go any further, I would recommend checking if your motherboard actually supports DDR3, not all 775 motherboards do.

Also, following on from what CJ said, going along the E350 line would mean lower power consumption aswell, which could pay for itself if the system will be left on for extended periods of time.

Before you go any further, I would recommend checking if your motherboard actually supports DDR3, not all 775 motherboards do.

Also, following on from what CJ said, going along the E350 line would mean lower power consumption aswell, which could pay for itself if the system will be left on for extended periods of time.

Yep. I already made sure everything posted. DDR3 memory and all. But I put the power supply on the router that I am building. 

And yes Cjloki, I have thought about it. But I got a 1 core pentium and a brand new socket 775 motherboard for under 60 bucks. If I could get into a socket 1155 build at that price....BELIEVE me, I would be all over that. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128561&Tpk=ga%20e350n%20usb3

Say $20 extra, and you get a dual-core APU and an ultra-small form factor :thumbsup:

oh he!! yes, i built one of those for a friend last year and it's still going strong...those pentiums can do alot too...funny how we're almost always yakkin about the monster top o the line bleeding edge builds, and then i have to be retrained when something retro comes up..hehehe

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128561&Tpk=ga%20e350n%20usb3

Say $20 extra, and you get a dual-core APU and an ultra-small form factor :thumbsup:

oh he!! yes, i built one of those for a friend last year and it's still going strong...those pentiums can do alot too...funny how we're almost always yakkin about the monster top o the line bleeding edge builds, and then i have to be retrained when something retro comes up..hehehe

Welllll the only issue with that is that I already have the mobo and CPU, and it is more powerful then that thing. 

The problem is that I just got home from microcenter (I got a asrock extreme 6 and a ivy bridge celleron for 60 bucks after I exchanged the socket 775 mobo for my router, I still have this other one for the CD player)

So that means I have a socket 775 mobo, a E8400 CPU, and 4GB of 1333 ram...........for a cd player. 

Just to reflect on what that means.....my moms CD player will be more powerful than my neighbors PC. 

But the issue is that I have been flipping so many PC parts for profit that I have put in like 30 bucks total. Now if you guys tell me that a brand new asus mobo an e8400, and 4GB of gskill 2000mhz memory is worth this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128568 with 4 GB of samsung memory maybe then I might consider switching.  :) (The reason for that particular board would be so that I could switch out the stuff on the router for that board which will REALLY help for networking)

But I still need help finding a good USB disk reader. I know that anything would really work, but I also want to make sure it will work well for audio. I know how easy it is to really F up audio with cheap crap. 

Welllll the only issue with that is that I already have the mobo and CPU, and it is more powerful then that thing. 

The problem is that I just got home from microcenter (I got a asrock extreme 6 and a ivy bridge celleron for 60 bucks after I exchanged the socket 775 mobo for my router, I still have this other one for the CD player)

So that means I have a socket 775 mobo, a E8400 CPU, and 4GB of 1333 ram...........for a cd player. 

Just to reflect on what that means.....my moms CD player will be more powerful than my neighbors PC. 

But the issue is that I have been flipping so many PC parts for profit that I have put in like 30 bucks total. Now if you guys tell me that a brand new asus mobo an e8400, and 4GB of gskill 2000mhz memory is worth this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128568 with 4 GB of samsung memory maybe then I might consider switching.  :) (The reason for that particular board would be so that I could switch out the stuff on the router for that board which will REALLY help for networking)

But I still need help finding a good USB disk reader. I know that anything would really work, but I also want to make sure it will work well for audio. I know how easy it is to really F up audio with cheap crap. 

...message me your mailing addy and put this on hold for one week...

...message me your mailing addy and put this on hold for one week...

Done and done  :thumbsup:

You look in the wrong places then haha safe to say you may end putting what ~$200 into this project? That is a hell of a lot of CD player you could buy haha.

Good luck with then project though :)

Yeup. I haven't spent more than 30 bucks though. Plus this is going to be for her birthday, so I don't mind spending a bit of money. What I mind is making sure that I don't spend more than like 100 bucks total. After 100 bucks I could have said F it and gotten her a record player and buy all her music on vinyl and had it sound better still.