Bootable Iso To Usb Pen Drive

Nodgiles

I have been handed down a task by my commanders to create a pen drive that can be used to image our new machines. We use a program called Altiris in order to deploy customized windowsXP images on new machines. To use this software we are required to insert a bootable Altiris disk into the destination machine and then launch the deployment console on our work stations. Our work stations then push the image to the destination machine.

My Boss has requested that I find a way to eliminate the need for burning CD's for this process and instead place the image on a bootable pen drive. So what I have is a newly formatted pen drive, and an iso. I cant seem to figure out how to "burn" my ISO onto the drive. Has anyone done such a thing before? I cant see any reason why it wouldnt work but I cant seem to figure out how to write the image to the pen drive. Suggestions are appreciated, solutions are even better.

try extracting the ISO files using any imaging program (MagicISO, PowerISO, UltraISO, etc) and then use my USB Bootdrive guide, using the extracted ISO files as the "bootfiles"

I've found that not every USB flash drive works this way, but most do, 2GB seems to be the most you can use as 4GB drives are beyond the maximum size for a bootable FAT partition I think... anyway, if you're replacing CDs, I'm guessing you're using a 1GB drive anyway... just be aware that you might need to try a different brand/model if one doesn't work, and also the write speed on some flash drives is HORRIBLE lol... but that seems to be for lots of small files, for a continuous writing stream, it's a lot better, so if the bulk of the files is one big drive image, you won't have the painful 1 hour+ of copying files lol

Thanks! This looks like it might work, Ill have to find a small drive to try it on, unfortunately all we have on hand is 4GB+

I forgot to mention that Altiris boot disk is built on linux, this shouldnt be a problem I think. . .

/agrees with nrg.

that's a very easy to follow guide on how to do it :)

i wanna try this with my 4gb drive.

I tried with one of our 4GB drives but it wouldnt boot. Im assuming it because of the drive size and not that the original boot disk is based on linux. . .

2GB seems to be the most you can use as 4GB drives are beyond the maximum size for a bootable FAT partition I think...

I've booted from my 16 GB drive. 127 GB is the limit for bootable FAT32 partitions on most computers these days.