Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

WhenKittensATK

Release Date: 2012 (360/PS3 most likely)

Developer: Platinum Games (Bayonetta, Vanquish, and etc)

Producer: Kojima Productions (makes all the Metal Gear titles, except this one)

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SNo8h-KfAU

Interview: The Truth Behind RISING:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV1BMUg4NsA

Kojima gave his younger team the task of making MGS 5 (without his help, since he was leading another project at the time). The idea he gave them was The Boss and the Cobra Unit during the invasion of Normandy. Of course the younger members were wary of taking on something as big as MGS 5. So they opt out and thought of the idea for Metal Gear Rising. Then the controls were a little too complex, so Platinum Games took over and that's what you see today.

Lmao @ 18m33s : Raiden cuts open a cardboard box and there is an enemy hiding inside of it :D

Edited by Krazyxazn

Posted the trailer yesterday, I'm still not convinced of the new direction. I mean.. I know Raiden doesn't really fit with the whole stealth gameplay since he is now a cybernetic ninja, but still, it just seems way over the top and doesn't seem like it is in the Metal Gear universe.

Sure, the game looks fun, but I haven't even finished Bayonetta. :lol:

Never played a MGS game, but when I first saw the trailer for Rising I was kinda excited. It seemed to have a very western approach to it.

When I saw this trailer it made me think "Oh great another Japanese RPG game..."

Personally I am not a big fan of eastern games, reasoning behind that is because from most of the ones I have seen or played they are generally to fast paced. The graphics are over the top, and well generally the acting and the story is over the top as well... The Japanese studios make the games for their local consumers first, then translate it for the european and US markets. I think a lot of the story gets lost in the translation.

There have been a good few games I have played from across the pond. Enslaved (oh wait that was a European studio published by a Japanese publisher..)

Nintendo is really the only company out of Japan who really thinks about the whole world when developing games I think (at least for their major titles)...

So they took a stealth action game and made a hack & slash sequel? This one's getting a pass from me.

So Metal Gear Solid took an overhead action-adventure video game and made a tactical espionage action game? That didn't go down very well on PS1.

Oh wait, it did.

Metal Gear Rising doesn't carry the name "Solid" anymore. It's a completely different direction using a character from that universe. Not only that but it's a completely different developer. I think it'll shape up to be pretty badass.

Don't knock it.

This game looks okay gameplay wise. However those cut-scenes are just over the top, as is with Platinum Games :P I was never good at those action games so hopefully this will be easy enough to play.

IDK. The original MGR trailer was pretty Japanese orientated. I like a lot of Japanese games: Metal Gear, Dynasty Warriors, Tekken, Zone of Enders, Final Fantasy, Valkyria Chronicles, Kingdom Hearts, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and etc. They make a crap load of good games.

So they took a stealth action game and made a hack & slash sequel? This one's getting a pass from me.

Technically, its not a sequel. This is just an off-shoot but in the same universe. Metal Gear Rising vs Metal Gear Solid.

Edited by Krazyxazn

IDK. The original MGR trailer was pretty Japanese orientated. I like a lot of Japanese games: Metal Gear, Dynasty Warriors, Tekken, Zone of Enders, Final Fantasy, Valkyria Chronicles, Kingdom Hearts, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and etc. They make a crap load of good games.

Thats where personal preference is different from person to person. My statement was to point that Japanese studios really only develop games for specific play styles, instead of trying to focus on something for everyone like a lot of US and European studios do.

To me all the games you listed (with exception to Tekken) are games I have had absolutely no intrest in. They make great fighting games (street fighter, tekken) but besides that I really don't care for the other games.

Revengeance? :pfp: The proper word is revenge. What next, revenge the revenge of the avenger? :lol:

Well, they say it is revenge with a vengeance.. hence revengeance. It also has some darker connotations, like with a KKK case from the '60s.

My statement was to point that Japanese studios really only develop games for specific play styles, instead of trying to focus on something for everyone like a lot of US and European studios do.

Specific playstyles is a good thing though. If its what the fans want, it's what they will make. A lot of those games do well in the Western countries anyways.

American/European games = easy mode gameplay

Asian games = hardcore grinding, multiple button combo, wacky gameplay

Edited by Krazyxazn

• 2 months later...