So Facebook has bought Oculus Rift....

WarWeeny

Does this mean the kickstarters are going to be paid back?  I would be extremely mad if I was a kickstarter for this project.

Some of the backers aren't real happy, since there was almost no point in having the Kickstarter now if the team was just going to get $2 billion. Notch isn't going to support it anymore, so maybe some other game developers will follow suit. And hey, we still have Sony's Project Morpheus.

Does this mean the kickstarters are going to be paid back?  I would be extremely mad if I was a kickstarter for this project.

Some of the backers aren't real happy, since there was almost no point in having the Kickstarter now if the team was just going to get $2 billion. Notch isn't going to support it anymore, so maybe some other game developers will follow suit. And hey, we still have Sony's Project Morpheus.

FB would have never offered the $2B if the KS wasn't successful to begin with, so backers have little right to complain. The KS "guarantee" is simply that the money pledged is used toward the project/development; no where does it say companies can't seek funds elsewhere as well.

As for Notch, he also completely dismisses Steam, the most popular platform in the world, so I don't take stuff he says all too seriously to begin with.

I think it was a foolish purchase. No way in hell are they going to get a return on it.

Assuming most people are like me...they'll see it as a gimmick. I have no interest in the slightest in gaming with this thing. Like the Wimote...ever tried playing Mario Cart with it? It's ****king terrible. Plug in the thumb stick and instantly you go from last place to first.

Of the 15 nerds I work with only one is excited about this thing. But he is also the weird one that could jerk off to the new 12GB video card article.

Maybe if they can market it to NASA or something they could make money off of it.

Like I said, some of the backers aren't happy. It went from an idea to be used primarily towards gaming and the like, and now it's shifted towards advertisements and social communication and whatever else Facebook throws at it. So it's understandable for the early backers to be upset with the deal, since it no longer seems to represent the initial idea. And yes, things like that can change over time or even be a dud (Ouya) after a very successful KS campaign.

I'm just happy I don't have the fortune to ever back anything more than games and music. :lol:

Two questions come to my mind (feel free to try and answer them if you know)

1. How is that product even worth 2 Billion? It's still mostly a concept, that may not even sell.

2. What can Facebook even do with it? I mean I can see Microsoft, Sony and more likely Nintendo after something like that, but Facebook?

Two questions come to my mind (feel free to try and answer them if you know)

1. How is that product even worth 2 Billion? It's still mostly a concept, that may not even sell.

2. What can Facebook even do with it? I mean I can see Microsoft, Sony and more likely Nintendo after something like that, but Facebook?

Per #2, advertising. :lol:

Two Billion is a lot of money for something that the average consumer doesn't even seem to care about. Hell I spend tons of money on geeky stuff and I wouldn't even consider buying one of these things.

Canceled my DK2 pre-order and will just mod my DK1.

No interest at all in a Facebook owned going peripheral company, I am one of the few people I know who don't even have a Facebook.  Even Notch dropped his official Rift support project after the buy out...

Enjoy Farmville VR and 10 second ads in your face before every game LOL.

Canceled my DK2 pre-order and will just mod my DK1.

No interest at all in a Facebook owned going peripheral company, I am one of the few people I know who don't even have a Facebook.  Even Notch dropped his official Rift support project after the buy out...

Enjoy Farmville VR and 10 second ads in your face before every game LOL.

Facebook has nothing to do with Farmville, that's Zynga. If you're going to bash something, at least get the facts straight. The possibility of a Farmville VR is no more or less probable with the FB acquisition than it was before.

I just love how people jump to conclusions before anything is even finalized yet.