Using ATX 5v to charge cell phone?

The battery like on both my SGS4 and N7 sucks. I have done all the usual troubleshooting steps for battery drain and not charging. I work for google supporting Android devices, BTW. So it occurred to me "hey I should try using the 5v from my computer to charge these things!" Putting together the necessary cables is kid's play.

The question is would I blow up / destroy my phone / tablet by doing this? If I recall the Ohms law lectures from  physics 109 properly, doing so should not. 

What is the Amp rating on your phone chargers?

USB2.0 is rated 500mA (2.5 watt)  and USB3.0 is rated 900mA (4.5 watt) I think. Whether one socket can pull combined rating I have no idea (remember USB2.0 devices using 2 plugs?   These are available computer switched on or off with newer? builds?

Power supply obviously can exceed these on 5 volt rail.

Generally a device like a phone will not (by design) pull more than it can use.

My exceedingly cheap smart phone uses a 4.9V 0.7A charger, my amazon kindle charger is 0.85A.  I've charged both off PC.

Edited by ohldboy

If your motherboard has a "supercharger" port it's really just a beefier port designed to allow draw up to 3 amps (usually).

Many powered USB hubs come with a higher power port as well.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL Those s3/s4 phones battery life is a JOKE. I love how the s4 with its brand name charger can't exactly charge while its being used (or use things like the camera when battery is low)

I have ghetto-rigged a couple devices to charge because customers don't bring them in with the device, they sometimes die on me halfway.

I don't know why they don't embrace batteries like the newest generation of apple's ipads, I would love a 8000mAh battery in my phone.

IMO - if the battery life on your S4 is not tolerable to you, I would honestly root & install a vanilla stock rom. all those background apps and utilities you will never use won't be on it.

Samsung phones are the new AOL's aka "The Kings of Bloatware"

oh , sorry. about the original question.. only device I have hurt using "not-recommended" charging methods was a Acer Iconia Tab, but they hae battery issues without me! lol

• 2 weeks later...

@ I actually DO want to install stock kit kat on my GS4. I got as far as rooting it for the purpose.

I am actually trying to build a "high powered" charging station for both my GS4 & Nexus 7. Same thing with the battery drain on the N7.

I am using a 5VDC 8A Switching Power Supply (40 Watt) for the project. The issue not is when testing the rig the test GS3 phone is hot charging. Do / do not I have to power one of the data caples had have a resistor someplace in the cutrit in order to "trick" the phone?