First NVIDIA 9-series video card tested

Well just for fun I went to extreme (aka 3 mins) of effort to make this little comparison image using the back of a reference 8800 GT from Legit Reviews and the 9600 GT back shot from OCC (OCC text cropped to get them closer for comparison and BC it looks like crap streched out and adjusted) distorted to help "square" the card (effort was made to keep the side with PCI-e connector the same as it was used to resize and align them)

2dmggp0.jpg

So it looks to me that they have the same size, but NOT the same PCB.

EDIT: Oh and the [H]ardOCP review on the main page of OCC has this comparison. Don't ya jsut love it when you do things the hard way yet could have clicked a few linsk and never touched an image :)

Edited by cchalogamer

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, I hear ya bosco! Got less than that last night, I'm about to drop dead to the ground (which I will do now, but not on the ground, much rather in bed).

Thanks for the links cchalo, that's basically what I wanted to know. If the 9600GT is this HUGE, what will the 9800GTX/GX2's be like?! Also, what will the budget cards be? 9500? 9400?

If the 9600GT is this HUGE

I wouldn't call it HUGE, big yes, but looking back at my 6800 GS...basically the same size, granted the 7950GT was smaller but the 9600 GT offers a bit more power compared to "Last gen" top cards when compared to the 8600s so it may be that nvidia's just trying to lessen that gap between "high end" and main stream, and with the recent ATI offerings that's good to see. Of course I know nothing, but that seems somewhat/mostly/kinda/almost logical to me. (Yeah there went that whole confidence thing :))

Give me about 2 to 3 hours so I can pull the rig down and put it back together. THe comparison will be 9600GT, 3850, 8800gt and 3870X2 just fro reference. The fan on my 9600GT is not as loud as the 3850 fan so in other word its quiet by comparison to the fans in my case.

:blink: Why is the 3870 slower than the 3850 in the Crysis tests? On other tests it seems like the 3850 chokes rather quickly as well. Oddness.

Driver variences.

Impressive card for the price :)