NB temp higher at idle then on full load?

Hello all, 

I didn't know where to go to ask this question.  So I apologize, and hope I am in the right place.   I had a curious question about my mobo NB temp.    AT idle its hot at 65 degrees.   But, when under full load...  say when i'm playing a demanding video game lik battlefield 3,  my NB temp then goes down to under 55 degrees.  is this normal... or is it possibly a sign my psu is going bad?  undervolting protection is bad?

at first i thought maybe the program was  was reading the temperature settings incorrectly, but i tried hwomonitor and a couple others....all said the same.    and so i did the finger test.  and to my amazment......the heatsink on the NB is much cooller to the touch when the pc is at full load.  does this make sense?

all my other temps are fine.  this is the only weird one.  my gpu is at 75 at full load.   cpu cores are 50 at full load.  basic stock cooling.     socket temp is ok.   Is this normal for these newer mobos?  maybe by design.?

I have a dell studio xps 7100.   which supposedly has a custom gigabyte mobo.

amd phenom  II x4  820 2.8gz

6b ddr3 1066

ati hd 5870 1gb

win 7 64bit

i've been thinking i need a new psu because the fan is starting to make alot of  noise at times and is running really hot when stressed.  its a little over 2 years old.   and is a cheap crappy stock dell 450 watt.  I'm  also starting to get cpu spikes after playing bf3 after a while,  maybe this is due to the psu?   Jjust by touching the grate at the back of the case i notice the psu fan is not blowing air out enough and is extremely hot to the touch.   So i think i should replace it asap.  so when checking my pc i just noticed the strange NB temp.  i do sometimes hear a very slight coil whining when the cpu idles down after very heavy stress.   should i shut off amd cool n quiet in the bios until i get a new psu?   or is this not an issue?

any thoughts on this?   I'm a noob so i apologize if these are dumb questions.  ty in advance fo your patience and understanding.

Rich.

EDIT:  also is this a good psu to get? http://microcenter.com/product/404951/TR-700_TR2_700_Watt_ATX_Power_Supply         Microcenter is close to me and i prefer to buy one there.  ty again for your time.

Edited by RichAC

IMO there's nothing wrong with your system at all in terms of temps or whatnot. Your PSU should probably be replaced though as it sounds like your fan might be dying.

ty for your reply. did notice when stress testing today. that the cpu socket temp spikes at times and i can hear the fan going full blast for a second and then cooling down. does this mean anything?

The condition could be caused by the cpu fan ramping up and moving the air around better then at idle. Sometimes at idle in a case that has decent to poor air cycling the system can become hot while at idle as all fans are at lower speeds and not really moving the air out or around well. Try improving your air flow for the case and go from there.

And as far as your psu. If you are having a voltage drop like describing then you would experience instability or system failure. But defiantly get that psu out of there. Just about anything from pcp-c, corsair, cooler master and some others would be better then a well psu. I would replace them before doing many more intense things with that system.

I'll second the getting the likely junk Dell PSU out of the system and boinker hit my guess spot on about the lack of air flow at idle being the likely cause for what seems like strange temp readings.  

As for what power supply to get, there are a lot of good options, based on trying to keep the price down I would prob lean towards the corsair units at microcenter.  

A VERY good source for PSU reviews to get an idea about brands and models is http://www.jonnyguru.com/ They are very detailed in the testing and do a good job of breaking down how they developed the score for a PSU.  

i was gonna get the corsair cx600. but the problem is it has a 1 x 8 pin. and i need a 4 pin powercord for the 12v on my mobo. so i figure i can't use that one.

plus the dimensions were a little small. so i'm going with the 5.9" thermaltake tr2 tr700. which is the same price and same exact size as psu i have in case now so it should def fit in the case nicely.

just to make sure though..... when it says 1 x 4+4 that means i can use that as either a 4 or 8 pin right? and hopefully when i put it in the case i can put the cords properly to get proper air flow.

would adding another case fan or something help air flow. I hear they have fans for the NB chip. i do see i can remove the heatsink on my mobo. would that be a good idea to get a fan for the NB or is it not worth it? maybe another case fan would help? tks for the replies.

Edited by RichAC

i was gonna get the corsair cx600. but the problem is it has a 1 x 8 pin. and i need a 4 pin powercord for the 12v on my mobo. so i figure i can't use that one.

plus the dimensions were a little small. so i'm going with the 5.9" thermaltake tr2 tr700. which is the same price and same exact size as psu i have in case now so it should def fit in the case nicely.

just to make sure though..... when it says 1 x 4+4 that means i can use that as either a 4 or 8 pin right? and hopefully when i put it in the case i can put the cords properly to get proper air flow.

would adding another case fan or something help air flow. I hear they have fans for the NB chip. i do see i can remove the heatsink on my mobo. would that be a good idea to get a fan for the NB or is it not worth it? maybe another case fan would help? tks for the replies.

I would probably recommend the CX600 over the thermaltake. Heck, try for something smaller like the CX430 or CX500. The 8-pin on them are 4+4 meaning you can simply split the plug into two 4 pins, which will work fine on your board. The fact that it's shorter shouldn't make much of a difference, since the PSU is held on by 4 screws on the back of the unit anyway.

Since you're replacing a Dell, make absolute sure that a normal ATX size PSU can fit (actually do some measurements). They're known to be somewhat proprietary and may cause problems depending on the unit you get.

You probably won't need a NB fan. I'd probably replace the CPU cooler though, since your current one is ramping up quite frequently. And be sure to blow out any dust from inside your side with some compressed air (no vacuum cleaners please)

so you mean that cx600 i can still plug into the 4 pin? you sure? thats better then the 700 watt thermaltake?

and i've always used a vacuum cleaner... haha that is bad? i guess cause its possible for stuff to blow out into the mobo? i'll have to try to get some compressed air. tks.

ok so i read now that almost all 8 ping psu's u can still use for 4 pin. i didn't realize this. also corsair is better rated. and has a 3 year warranty as opposed to just one on the thermaltake.

and someone told me that they have this one on their dell xpx 7100. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094 and the corsair is the same dimensions. it also has less wires so prolly better for air flow. so i guess as long as i can fit the 4 pin connector and nothing on mobo gets in the way i'm good to go :)

i'm gonna stick with the corsair which was my original pick. tks for the replies.

so you mean that cx600 i can still plug into the 4 pin? you sure? thats better then the 700 watt thermaltake? and i've always used a vacuum cleaner... haha that is bad? i guess cause its possible for stuff to blow out into the mobo? i'll have to try to get some compressed air. tks.

Vacuum cleaners create static. In close proximity with computer components, you have a chance of killing some hardware in the process.

You can use the 4-pin plug with the CX600. I've never had a problem with Corsairs, so highly recommended from me.

ohhh ok good to know ty. I do wanna blow the dust out of it. yep i'm goin with the corsair it has amazing ratings. i have it right now out the box. hahah was gonna return it for the thermaltak like a dummy.

curious and probably another dumb question. i have an air compressor in the garage. will that also create static. or do u think i'll prolly end up damaging some parts because it is too powerful?

also what is the proper way to destatic myself when installing the psu. I don't have one of those things you put on the wrist...is that nescessary/

do they sell compressed air cans at any local stores? tks.

and any precautions or other tips when installing the psu? i was told to push it to the 0 position when installing? tks again for all your replies.

Edited by RichAC