AMD A10 5757M turbo core question

It's a physical limitation more than anything else...

This doesn't bode too much options from the sound of it :cry:

WELL, then i guess i have to give up on it now until some genius knows how to control this through a program :P

I don't think you'll find any genius that can make the heat sink larger than it is through software. :P

This is the unfortunate side effect of most people reading spec sheets and not actually making sure things can run a sustained load. Phones started this - they advertise XXX MHz quad core but in reality when you load down the phone you'll get XXX/2 MHz or something like that. Laptops are getting to be the same way because 99.9% of people don't care or know the difference.

I don't think you'll find any genius that can make the heat sink larger than it is through software.

The thing is, when it gets at 71c, in Facebook or what ever, it still is 3.2GHz~ and when i load a game, it immediately goes down to 1.6Ghz~ so it isn't the temperature that is holding it back.

Not to sure on this one, as you guys have already covered most of the bases for sure.

Double check all of the performance controls with CCC? Also, maybe try updating the AMD drivers via the AMD website (http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64#amd-catalyst-packages). I know that at least for my laptop when I purchased it (Gateway, owned by Acer), an APU driver update provided many new versions of drivers already installed.

Past making sure that everything is oriented towards performance within CCC, you have the latest drivers provided by AMD, and you are using the high performance power profile in Windows, I can't think of anything else.

I said in my OP that the temps are fine :P

You said that, but if it's running at 71 C and instantly throttling when you apply a load...that's heat/power. 71 C is definitely into the range of where the CPU should throttle...

How much memory?  I believe this APU shares memory between CPU/iGPU.  Gaming may take memory from CPU, limiting CPU performance?  Especially if Acer determines settings.

My limited experience is when in doubt, 8 GB is a good idea.

One or two people have hinted around it but my guess is it's a power regulation limit vs heat.  While 71C is toasty for the CPU if it's not throttling under other loads at that temp that's not the reason.

However, if the CPU is rated for say 35w TDP that's for the CPU AND the GPU together.  In other words the power draw of the GPU while gaming may be limiting the power that the CPU has left and it must downclock to stay in spec as far as power consumption.  

Essentially if you were able to increase the power limit in CCC as you normally could on a desktop you could give it more room to breath and run faster, sadly most mobile platforms are locked down so you don't over draw the limited power circuity they have. My guess is if you can find a way to underclock the GPU you'll see the CPU speed rebound.  You might see a boost by manually setting the affinity to run on two cores (same module) and (hopefully) letting the other module idle.