How To Secure Your Linux Box

Bosco

What about a simple tutorial on using iptables? It's actually quite simple to use once you learn the terminology. Btw, PeerGuardian has a linux distribution. I haven't played around with it yet but you might want to look into it.

• 2 weeks later...
What about a simple tutorial on using iptables?  It's actually quite simple to use once you learn the terminology.  Btw, PeerGuardian has a linux distribution.  I haven't played around with it yet but you might want to look into it.

498210[/snapback]

If you use azureus you can import the peerguardian block settings. Also, I too would be interested in learning about iptables from the master here.

off topic: i laugh whenever I see "linux box" because a few weeks ago, i pointed to one of my machines and said to my friend" that is my linux box". There happened to be a box on the floor near it, and he was like "That is SOOO cool!". He thought that shoebox was a compact PC.

• 2 years later...

Wow, I am a total beginner to the arena of web-hosting server management, but this article really peaked my interest and also has helped to enlighten me as to just how powerful the command line really is!

I have performed all but 3 tips you mention in this article to my web-server.

psa v8.2.0_build82070706.15 os_FedoraCore 6

Linux 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6

One thing I have noticed after having had performed the 'Mount /tmp with noexec' guide.

In PLESK now when in => Server Admin if I try to access => Mail I receive the following error

from PLESK regarding MySQL not being able to write to the /temp/

MySQL query failed: Can't create/write to file '/tmp/#sql_1190_0.MYI' (Errcode: 13)

0: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/common_func.php3:216

db_query(string 'SELECT COUNT(*) AS num FROM mail m, accounts a WHERE m.account_id=a.id AND a.type='plain' AND a.password != "" GROUP BY m.mail_name, a.password having num > 1')

1: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/cmd_mail.php3:1673

short_pop3_names_compability()

2: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/class.ServerMailForm.php:106

ServerMailForm->javascript(boolean true)

3: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/class.ServerMailForm.php:322

ServerMailForm->assign(array, array, object of type SPFManager)

4: /usr/local/psa/admin/htdocs/server/mail.php3:203

How would this issue be corrected?

Thank you very much for the article too, I look forward to going through more of your productions.