Home network for a new years LAN party

Renigade

I need advice on what 16 port switch to get.

So i have a few friends that want to get together for a new years LAN party.

If anyone has experience setting up and running them send me a PM as this will be my first time doing so and im kind of network challenged.

Also if anyone have any good ideas for cheap fun games for a LAN Party that take no real experience to play and would be fun for all even non gamers that can have at least 8 people playing at the same time that would be awesome too!

I should have at least 8 people maybe more.

All you really have to do is plug the switch into your router using any port on the switch and any (except uplink) port on your router. Your router will assign IPs to any PC you then plug into the switch or router. No software or configuration is needed.

All you really have to do is plug the switch into your router using any port on the switch and any (except uplink) port on your router. Your router will assign IPs to any PC you then plug into the switch or router. No software or configuration is needed.

Cool now to find some fun games to play :)

what does " Unmanaged " mean?

I've only seen managed switches in the corporate world. You can set a number of connected devices, set up VLANs, etc, with a managed switch. Unmanaged is all you would need for home use.

what does " Unmanaged " mean?

pretty much means plug and play.... you plug in the wires and turn it on and it just works....

thats exactly what I did... unhooked the old 8-port switch and hooked this one up added the LAN wires and switched it on and Walla internet...

What is your Inet connection speed?

Just make sure everyone has the games installed before hand, with updates too. As if everyone is waiting to download the games and update them on a slow speed. Makes for a bizz kill of a lan party.