ATI 6800 Cards Reviewed

Bosco

I think you mean the former, not the latter. :P

I have to say, I'm kind of tempted to upgrade to the 6870. Money wise isn't much more than what I paid for my 5770 this summer, but then again, I have only used it for 3 months. :lol: I suppose I'll wait for the 6900 series..

I need your editing skills there! :lol:

Good review, but I still think you should include minimum FPS and average (Seperated) and maybe keep away the low end and really high end cards. HD6870 won't be beating a GTX480 or HD5970 thats for sure ;)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, forgot to mention, very nice review. It made it easy for me to make my upgrading choice.

I especially like how you pointed out the overclocking / fan noise faults of the 6870 instead of trying to generalize between the two cards.

Ordered a pair of HD6850's. :D

I need your editing skills there! :lol:

Good review, but I still think you should include minimum FPS and average (Seperated) and maybe keep away the low end and really high end cards. HD6870 won't be beating a GTX480 or HD5970 thats for sure ;)

No they will not be outperforming the higher end cards but it shows the performance ladder from the 5750 to the 5970 on the AMD side and from the GTS 250 up to the 480 on the NVIDIA side!

Also, forgot to mention, very nice review. It made it easy for me to make my upgrading choice.

I especially like how you pointed out the overclocking / fan noise faults of the 6870 instead of trying to generalize between the two cards.

Ordered a pair of HD6850's. :D

The 6850 is quiet by comparison but then again the sample I have is non reference version. The fan specs say it is about 50dBA but by comparison the 6870 is like a screaming banshee. Not just one but all the ones tested.

I am working on Crossfire/SLI numbers this week so we should have those up in the next week or so!

No they will not be outperforming the higher end cards but it shows the performance ladder from the 5750 to the 5970 on the AMD side and from the GTS 250 up to the 480 on the NVIDIA side!

The 6850 is quiet by comparison but then again the sample I have is non reference version. The fan specs say it is about 50dBA but by comparison the 6870 is like a screaming banshee. Not just one but all the ones tested.

I am working on Crossfire/SLI numbers this week so we should have those up in the next week or so!

If the fact that the heat pipe contains a liquid which when in contact with the heat sink will absorb the heat, change state and be cooled by the fan; Will you be considering turning your computer upside down to test the cooling solution

in its technically correct orientation?

If the fact that the heat pipe contains a liquid which when in contact with the heat sink will absorb the heat, change state and be cooled by the fan; Will you be considering turning your computer upside down to test the cooling solution

in its technically correct orientation?

There are many ways to make a heatpipe. Several of these ways use wicking material, making buoyancy driven processes far less important (and hence the use of such heatpipe has much less of a dependence on orientation). :popcorn: