Free Anti-Virus Comparison Reviewed

Bosco

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was curious why Comodo did not make the list, especially if Clam did. Especially since it's free packages now include Internet Security with a firewall and both free packages give Sandbox browser usage.

I was curious why Comodo did not make the list, especially if Clam did. Especially since it's free packages now include Internet Security with a firewall and both free packages give Sandbox browser usage.

I used to use the Comodo AV on my laptop but then discovered it messed with some of its drivers. (Specifically drivers associated with its tablet functionality.) Still use the firewall though.

I've used AVG for years and recommend and/or install it myself on all my family/friends' computers.

I'm glad it was the fastest, but being speedy really shouldn't be the only factor when deciding on which AV software to use...not even the main factor.

You mention it catching many zero day threats, but I think a comparison chart for that (or virus database size) would have made more sense than simply how fast scans are.

I've used AVG for years and recommend and/or install it myself on all my family/friends' computers.

I'm glad it was the fastest, but being speedy really shouldn't be the only factor when deciding on which AV software to use...not even the main factor.

You mention it catching many zero day threats, but I think a comparison chart for that (or virus database size) would have made more sense than simply how fast scans are.

As I state in the article, I do not have the ability to verify the ability of the scanners to detect infections, so you got what I could give. I gave the AV-Test.org link so you can see that information, but, unfortunately, they do not test all of the scanners I looked at. Here are the links for those that they do:

Avast: Free AntiVirus

AVG: Anti-Virus Free Edition

Microsoft: Security Essentials

Panda Security: Cloud Antivirus FREE

As I state in the article, I do not have the ability to verify the ability of the scanners to detect infections, so you got what I could give. I gave the AV-Test.org link so you can see that information, but, unfortunately, they do not test all of the scanners I looked at. Here are the links for those that they do:

Thanks for the links

I switched from AVG to MSE some years ago, but given MSE's recent low ratings I've decided a few days ago to switch back. Haven't made the move yet, so it's a good thing that this article came along to prod me. :)

I am not a fan of most them...... to me its just so hard nowadays to say whats better then the other.

Yeah it is hard but then again its more a case of what suits who then whats the best.

Although not free, I'd be interested in seeing how Norton compares :teehee:

lol

Thanks for the links

AV-test.org is decent but I always cross reference with Virus Bulletin and AV Comparatives as well.