Folding Using The Linux SMP Client Under Windows

Nemo

Guess I better hop on the bandwagon too. I've got two units currently processing with 15 and 32 hours left to go. I just stopped the service on both of them and launched them manually with the -oneunit flag so as soon as they finish I'll try setting this up.

I downloaded vmware - man their servers are fast. ubuntu is downloading now. I'll be launching them on my dual Opteron 248 rig which is averaging < 250 ppd with two instances of the dreaded 212x WUs. We'll see what the improvement is.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i got it all installed & working, but my windows client only has 5 frames left to complete on my current WU, so i'm going to let it finish that then i'll crank up the SMP client.

and to bad its only 64bit right now, otherwise i'd get my Core Duo T2400 folding SMP style in my laptop :(

you can get 100 free serials, run vmware server on each 64-bit smp pc, use samba share for monitoring with FahMon / EMIII... that would be running on a group of computers...

but vmware server only seems to support 2 cpus, and i don't know any OS's that truly use cluster processing

Monitoring

as noted in the thread that Nemo linked to:

FahMon can read SMP client progress but not the WU protein info

EMIII reads the WU protein name, but not the progress

foldingmonitoringgi8.gif

Edited by hardnrg

Well that didn't quite go off as planned. VMWare is telling me my Opteron 248 will not support a 64-bit operating system. Did I fall asleep in class and miss something here?

Edit: Apparently you can't run a 64-bit guest OS under VMWare on earlier models of the Opterons, you need Rev. E or later. Bummer (Update: That's Rev E or later)

Edited by Nemo

Well that didn't quite go off as planned. VMWare is telling me my Opteron 248 will not support a 64-bit operating system. Did I fall asleep in class and miss something here?

Edit: Apparently you can't run a 64-bit guest OS under VMWare on earlier models of the Opterons, you need Rev. D or later. Bummer

dang... you got quite a few those to

hmm Nemo, seeing as they are folding only and it's only a VMware limitation, maybe you could just install ubuntu-64-desktop as the os instead of FC?

the installation and setting up samba share was so so easy, i'm sure you could do the four rigs within the hour :)

well, i'm on my 3rd SMP WU now :)

so that's 1432 points since i posted that i got it up n running

edit: GOOD LORD, the current WU is cranking out 1668 ppd! :O

in case anyone missed it...

1668 PPD on a single machine

Edited by hardnrg