Need a router recommendation

Queenz

I just upgraded from Verizon DSL to Time Warner Wideband with 30 mbps download speed and all I have to say is WOW!!! :blink: :blink: What a night and day difference. My Samsung SSD I bought last month came with a free download of Batman Arkham City which was like 16 gigs in file size and it only took me a little under 2 hours to download!!

Only thing is I feel that my router is holding me back. I have a wireless router connected to my new cable modem and the router is a piece of crap. Occasionally after a day of it being on I just randomly lose my internet connection and the router has to be reset. I made sure all the settings were configured right. And by the way the router use to do this when I had DSL too. So it's definately a problem with it. I even upgraded the firmware on it and that didn't fix the issue.

I'd rather save myself the headache a buy a new one. Any recommendations? I don't have a budget. The router can be $100-$300 it really doesn't matter to me. Thanks!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just upgraded from Verizon DSL to Time Warner Wideband with 30 mbps download speed and all I have to say is WOW!!! :blink: :blink: What a night and day difference. My Samsung SSD I bought last month came with a free download of Batman Arkham City which was like 16 gigs in file size and it only took me a little under 2 hours to download!!

Only thing is I feel that my router is holding me back. I have a wireless router connected to my new cable modem and the router is a piece of crap. Occasionally after a day of it being on I just randomly lose my internet connection and the router has to be reset. I made sure all the settings were configured right. And by the way the router use to do this when I had DSL too. So it's definately a problem with it. I even upgraded the firmware on it and that didn't fix the issue.

I'd rather save myself the headache a buy a new one. Any recommendations? I don't have a budget. The router can be $100-$300 it really doesn't matter to me. Thanks!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320062

Sexy, powerful, it works, it is made by ASUS. You can't loose.

I have had a D-LINK 655 wireless N router for 2 or 3 years now and I'm very happy with it (features/performance/configuration/reliability). Before this I had a Linksys, which was always freezing up and needed rebooting every week or two.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to revive this topic. I bought the e4200 from BestBuy and it set up well. I bought the 5ghz USB adapter for my computer and that was fine. My work iPad connected fine but both my DroidX and my wife's Thundebolt refused to connect. The only way they would connect is with all encryption turned off. WEP/WPA/WPA2 and WPA/WPA2 mixed mode all didn't work. I need a new wireless router because we bought a Transformer Prime tablet and it doens't like my current Netgear N router.

My question is do you guys think there was something wrong with the e4200 which caused my phones not to connect? Would the e2000 or e3000 fare better? I'm a fan of ASUS (except their customer service) so I'd be willing to give that one a shot. Do any of you have one of the e-series Linksys routers connected to either a DroidX or Thunderbolt by chance and have no issues?

I'd like to revive this topic. I bought the e4200 from BestBuy and it set up well. I bought the 5ghz USB adapter for my computer and that was fine. My work iPad connected fine but both my DroidX and my wife's Thundebolt refused to connect. The only way they would connect is with all encryption turned off. WEP/WPA/WPA2 and WPA/WPA2 mixed mode all didn't work. I need a new wireless router because we bought a Transformer Prime tablet and it doens't like my current Netgear N router.

My question is do you guys think there was something wrong with the e4200 which caused my phones not to connect? Would the e2000 or e3000 fare better? I'm a fan of ASUS (except their customer service) so I'd be willing to give that one a shot. Do any of you have one of the e-series Linksys routers connected to either a DroidX or Thunderbolt by chance and have no issues?

Don't have a DroidX or Thunderbolt unfortunately. Are you running wireless N at 20mhz or 40mhz? Some devices don't support the 40mhz mode.

Also are you using the stock E4200 firmware? If so, try 3rd party firmware such as Tomato or DD-WRT.