Nvidias Hottest Weapon Benched!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really expected a higher 3dmark 06 score. Maybe with better drivers it will be quicker.

not sure about anyone else, but I completely and totally ignore 3dmark scores. They are useless when trying to measure real game performance since they are synthetic. Another thing to note is the almost identical scores between all cards of the same class now. Is there a real difference between 13,654 points and 14,123 at 1600x1200?

No.

Is there a difference between 32fps and 65fps at 1600x1200? Why, yes, there is a pretty significant difference.

So taking those figures into consideration, if a 500-ish point difference in a synthetic benchmark equaled a 30fps difference at the same resolution, you'd definitely be thinking that 3dmark is something worthwhile to pay attention to.

But reality shows that 3dmark is all over the map when it comes to measuring real world performance that I wonder why people still cling to old habits. How about the 3dmark scores where one card scores 600 points higher but in REAL games that same card actually gets beaten by 14fps in every game at every resolution? How can one possibly consider 3dmark as anything but quaint and out-of-date then?

I stopped using 3dmark as a bench about 2 years ago, but for another year after I still at least ran the program to try to at least get some correlation between scores on different platforms, but when you end up with 30 different computers spitting out 3dmark numbers that have no bearing on real-world performance, you tend to recognize that it's simply a wasted effort.

I'm in no way slamming Frank for using it. All the sites around the net are still using it, and habits are hard to break, especially reader habits. I think we do it mostly because somehow readers would howl in displeasure if there wasn't a 3dmark score included. It's hard to wean ourselves off from old habits. Look how many STILL can't even bring themselves to say the words "Core 2 Duo" or even "Intel" because of how long they slept in the same bed with everything and anything AMD? Remember when AMD was ramping up the performance and doing the Texas-Two-Step all over Intel's crappy Pentium4 and Pentium D? There were still far too many fanboys that just couldn't accept that Intel fell into 2nd place in performance. Reminds me of Mac users or ATI vs Nvidia etc.

I hope that 3dmark is something that EVERYONE can eventually move away from unless Futuremark does something to the bench to make it relevant again (something it hasn't been in most serious bench/tweak/enthusiast minds for a good while now).

Until then though, real games should be the numbers you are watching with serious interest instead of outdated synthetic benchmarks that show no real-world correlation to actual performance under real-world conditions. If we can break reader habits, then we (ie all of us who write/work for websites such as OCC, [H], Anand, PCPER, etc) can break our own habits.

Watch that show Intervention on A&E sometime. The parents/friends/family of addicts are just as much at fault as the addicts themselves. Me, I'm a recovering addict, and this is my opinion, not the opinion of OCC or anyone else (and yes, when I have to review something that requires benchmarks, if our rules state it must be used, I will use it, but I will focus on real games and real applications and only make passing mention to 3dmark).

now, beyond this, what a great card this is turning out to be. I am like others in this thread though, waiting to see what ATI counters with. I've never been ATI or Nvidia fanboy, just like I've never been AMD or Intel, Chevy or Ford (I hate both and prefer Honda and Toyota haha). Competition is great for us, the consumers. $699 is a horribly steep price, but there's one extremely important result that comes from this killer new card:

price drops on current tech that means we can all afford something killer.

example? Newegg had an XFX 8800GT 512MB PCI-E for $129.00 last week...and most are $150-ish with or without rebates. Today I saw a 9800GTX for $219 after $20MIR or something...so let's keep these new gpu's rolling out because 99% of us can't afford a brand new $600 video card, but 90% of us enthusiasts can easily break down and save/spend for a $150-ish card that was $300 about 6 weeks ago lol.

ok, Angry out. Feel free to bash me endlessly!

I have only read a few reviews and conclusions here and there but it seems that indeed, the GX2 cards are a better buy for the prices atm.

Unless you have a real Bioshock fetish...

I have only read a few reviews and conclusions here and there but it seems that indeed, the GX2 cards are a better buy for the prices atm.

Unless you have a real Bioshock fetish...

Thats become my conclusion as well. I'm confused about the mixed results. Most sites and reviews have focused on the price v. performance ratio, here it seems that there is some optimism simply because the price of the 8 and 9 series cards may drop.

For $699 (or even $599) I could purchase a number of things, one card is certainly not worth that price. I have been thinking about upgrading recently and yes this will help, as prices should go down in the next few months, but really, I am somewhat disappointed in what I have seen in most of the reviews.

Hopefully AMD will provide a better Price v. Performance ratio.

I would imagine the GX2 cards will drop when the product actually releases. They are still anywhere from 469 to 599. That 260 looks good for the dough. I hope that 4870X2 rocks nvidia. Maybe it will come out for 499.

Edited by InCrYsIs

That's interesting, but of limited use until proper applications can make use of it... that's unless someone makes snazzy plugins for stuff :)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home.html

I think it's gonna get very interesting soon... hopefully CUDA assisted engines will be released for all major codecs :)

slight OT question, but will the CUDA apps that are used in the review work on an 8800GTS? cos i like the look of that vid encoder!

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_learn_products.html