Building New Water Cooled i7-3960X Rig

NikoDG

The TJ11 is a slightly larger TJ07 with the same mobo mounting as the Raven cases. owever with it's price i would get as mentioned by some others some of the very specifically designed bohemoth water cases.

Also check out my edit above about the CM Storm Trooper

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a really hard look at the case and found a few pics around of the top with out is plastic shell and well i found some things that should make you happy.

First up you could fit a rad even up to the thickness of the rx up top with one set of fans inside and if you remove the carry handle from the top another set up there between the case and the ventilated plastic shell.

If you spin both cooled HDD bays you could drop again another rx with just fans in pull or possibly push/pull dependant on motherboard heatsync heights.

All this install should go down with only needing to drill out a few rivits on the handle. this is due mainly to the design of the HDD racks. Also if you want more there is always the possibility of dumping a 360 rad off the back.

So, you're saying I might be able to mount not just three, but FOUR 240mm radiator blocks internally? You really are a lifesaver.

Although, I could use some clarification on exactly how to mount the radiator next to the HDD`s if you don`t mind going into a little more detail.

So, you're saying I might be able to mount not just three, but FOUR 240mm radiator blocks internally? You really are a lifesaver.

Although, I could use some clarification on exactly how to mount the radiator next to the HDD`s if you don`t mind going into a little more detail.

umm no

You could get a 240 rad up top and a 240 rad of the racks

Take a look at this review they show the HDD bay moved around.

umm no

You could get a 240 rad up top and a 240 rad of the racks

Take a look at this review they show the HDD bay moved around.

Oh, I thought you said you could mount another 240mm radiator up top of the case towards the front as well as the back. Also, I`ve heard there`s room on the floor of the case near the front to put a 240mm radiator (bringing the total up to 4?)

Oh, I thought you said you could mount another 240mm radiator up top of the case towards the front as well as the back. Also, I`ve heard there`s room on the floor of the case near the front to put a 240mm radiator (bringing the total up to 4?)

Okay up top is stock two 120mm fan holes.

A 240 rad would sit there perfest if you remove the handle you can get and extra set of fans externally but still hidden by the plastic shell.

You have two optins down the bottom front wither leave the HDDs as is which is easiest and mount a rad of the back of the racks while still maintaining use of the racks

OR

Remove part of the front racks to bottom mount a 240 rad

Then if you want you could hang another rad of the back but internally only two 240 rads.

Then if you want you could hang another rad of the back but internally only two 240 rads.

Ahh, right, gotcha. So I'm still limited to two internal radiators. Which probably isn't enough for the set-up I'm planning is it?

But here's a thought (this may be a long shot), maybe I could squeeze a lower profile radiator onto that big old 140mm fan sucking fan out of the case at the back?

Edited by NikoDG

In the interest of focusing ont eh water cooling set-up and keeping things as scientific as possible, I've worked up some stats to compare some cases (in terms of radiator space). These statistics will include ONLY internal radiators (as you can easily mount an external radiator on almost any case you like), that are possible to put in with little to no modding, cause let's face it, nobody wants a scratched up case cause you have two left hands and were trying to modify it :P

I'm going to compare these cases based on number and size of radiators you can fit, and then total each case up in cm2 of radiator space.

CoolerMaster Storm Trooper (My top pick)

1) 240x120mm (288cm2)

2) 240x120mm (288cm2)

3) 140x140mm (196cm2)

Total: 772cm2

Corsair 800D (Suggested by Stonerboy779)

1) 480x120mm (576cm2)

2) 240x120mm (288cm2)

Total: 864cm2

Silverstone TJ07 (Suggested by Stonerboy779)

1) 480x120mm (576cm2)

2) 240x120mm (288cm2)

Total: 864cm2

CoolerMaster HAF 932 (Suggested by Stonerboy779, Waco, and boinker)

1) 360x120mm (432cm2)

2) 140x140mm (196cm2)

Total: 628cm2

CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced (Suggested by Stonerboy779)

1) 240x120mm (288cm2)

2) 240x120mm (288cm2)

Total: 576cm2

Danger Den Black-Series Tower 29 (Many suggested Danger Den or Mountain Mods, so I added this case for comparison)

1) 560x140mm (784cm2)

2) 360x120mm (432cm2)

Total: 1216cm2

Final Results

1) Danger Den Black-Series Tower 29 (1216cm2)

2) Corsair 800D/Silverstone TJ07 (864cm2)

4) CoolerMaster Storm Trooper (772cm2)

5) CoolerMaster HAF 932 (628cm2)

6) CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced (576cm2)

Conclusion

That Danger Den case is monstrous! 1216cm2 of radiator is more than enough for any set-up in my opinion and it is definitely worth thinking about grabbing one of these. Using the Tower 29 as a benchmark, Corsair and Silverstone come in second with 71% as much internal radiator space, then the Trooper comes in fourth with 63% as much radiator space. Under this light I honestly don't see a massive improvement going from the Trooper to either the Corsair or Silverstone case (in regards to radiator space), although, that Danger Den case is definitely worth considering upgrading to.

im not sure how many watts of heat a double 120 can dissapate, im going dual/triple 480s but thats probably alot overkill lol

2 x 480's are heat monsters. You will probably need a 120.3 just for those FYI